John Mayer Resuscitates Rep With Help From Tween
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 25th 2010 07:57AM
New Jersey sixth-grader Austin Christy attended John's Sunday night concert in Philadelphia with a sign reading "Can I play 'Belief' with you?" -- and when Mayer spotted Christy in the crowd, he invited the youngster onstage to do just that, reports CourierPostOnline.com.
Christy played for a crowd of roughly 25,000 fans and left with a guitar signed by the rocker himself, reading: "To Austin, You rock. Keep playing. See you at your show."
"I was really excited. I was thinking that it wasn't real," Christy said after the show, adding that he's a fan of Mayer because "his music is different than all the other artists. A lot of them are R&B and hip-hop. He's like a combination of pop and blues."
The duet received thunderous applause, and Mayer told the audience, "That's my man," indicating Christy.
"I said I was a big fan, and he said back to me he could tell," Christy said in the interview. "I thought it was pretty cool because a lot of other artists wanted to play with him and he picked an 11-year-old out of a lot of better artists."
Christy's mother wrote a note to John's management team, which read: "John made an 11-year-old's dream come true. John gave him the guitar after the show and we needed security to get out of the stadium."
"Everyone wanted a picture with [my son]. If you get a chance, watch some of the videos on You Tube, it is touching. As John said, 'The kid pulled through.' I just wanted to thank JM for pulling through for Austin."
Mayer, who has been uncharacteristically absent from Twitter since his Playboy debacle, posted a new message after the show: "8 out of 8 band members agree, Philly is always an awesome show. XO J."
John Mayer performs at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, February 21, 2010. (Bob Williams/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)
- Filed under:
- John Mayer
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Pregnant celebs without the shy gene
- Orlando Bloom, Miranda Kerr dating former spouses?
- Tara Reid releases 'Sharknado'-inspired perfume. No, really
- Christina Aguilera Poses Nude While Pregnant; Kim Kardashian Shares Nearly Naked Instagram: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Zoe Saldana Defends Crossroads Costar Britney Spears After Auto-Tune Controversy: She's "an Abundance" of Good Energy
- Justin Bieber Celebrates Riccardo Tisci's Birthday With Kim Kardashian, Kendall Jenner -- See the Pics!
- The TRANSformation Continues! Bruce Jenner Debuts Shocking New Hairdo
- Michael Strahan & Nicole Murphy Call It Quits ? End Their Five-Year Engagement