John Mayer Apologizes for Being 'A--hole' in Playboy
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 26th 2010 10:33AM
"I hate to come off like an a**hole ever, and thank you guys for believing that I am not an a**hole," the singer told the crowd at his sold-out Madison Square Garden show in NYC (via MTV News.) "It's a clean me now, people, clean me."
"Never, ever, in my entire life did I ever think that it would be a good idea to be an a**hole. But you know what? There's plenty of a**holes who think the same thing, so I have to thank you," Mayer added.
After the show, Mayer went on Twitter to ask his fans to be safe traveling home. "MSG crowd, will you tweet me when you get home safe? It's bad out. Oh, and HOLY SHNIKES. You were unreal tonight," he wrote.
Mayer's apology comes just weeks after his now-notorious interview with Playboy hit newsstands. In the interview, Mayer explained that he was practically addicted to ex-girlfriend Simpson. "That girl, for me, is a drug," he said. "And drugs aren't good for you if you do lots of them. Yeah, that girl is like crack cocaine to me ... Sexually, it was crazy. That's all I'll say. It was like napalm, sexual napalm."
His casual inclusion of the N-word launched a flurry of outrage, too. In the interview, the singer boasted, "I come on very strong. I am a very... I'm just very. V-E-R-Y. And if you can't handle very, then I'm a douche bag. But I think the world needs a little very. That's why black people love me."
Asked to clarify his definition of "very," Mayer made some unfortunate word choices: "Someone asked me the other day, 'What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?' And by the way, it's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a n**** pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, 'I can't really have a hood pass' I've never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, 'We're full.'"
Mayer used his Twitter page to offer a series of apologies, writing, "Re: using the 'N-word' in an interview: I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself. It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged."
Earlier this week, Mayer invited a New Jersey sixth-grader Austin Christy onstage after Mayer saw the 11-year-old's sign reading "Can I play 'Belief' with you?", reports CourierPostOnline.com. Christy played for a crowd of roughly 25,000 fans and left with a guitar signed by the rocker himself, reading: "To Austin, You rock. Keep playing. See you at your show." Watch their performance.
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Music News -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- WTF -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Polls: How You Voted on Big Stories -
- John Mayer
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Andi says 'Yes!' in dramatic season finale
- Kiefer Sutherland's rep responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s complaints about actor
- Anthony Anderson 'Eats America'
- ?The Bachelorette' season finale: And the ?winner' is?
- ?The Hobbit' Comic-Con panel is now online: The top 5 highlights
- I'm Still Not Over? House and Cuddy's terrible relationship
- Nina Dobrev Spotted with Three Hunks at Comic-Con? Is She Dating Any of Them?
- Video Highlights from Comic-Con 2014: ?Expendables 3,' ?Let's Be Cops,' and Daniel Radcliffe!
- Comic-Con 2014: Michael Douglas & Paul Rudd Talk ?Ant-Man' Costume
- Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner Party with Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Cozy up for Picture at House Party
- Bachelorette After the Final Rose Recap: Andi Dorfman's Runner-Up Confronts Her About "Making Love" to Him
- Arie Luyendyk Jr., Farmer Chris Soules Being Considered for ABC's Next Bachelor: Details