Why America Hates 'Fatties' More Than Druggies
By Jo Piazza Posted Feb 26th 2010 11:35AM
1. Fat is seen as a choice. For many, being fat is viewed as a self-control problem. A fat person is someone who let themselves go, didn't work out or is lazy, whereas drug addiction is viewed as a disease. Case in point: The contestants on 'The Biggest Loser' have to work their gigantic butts off to win the show while the folks on 'Celebrity Rehab' are treated with kid gloves and given rewards for not shooting up heroin in the bathroom.
"Even Jessica Simpson can wear the wrong pair of jeans one day and be criticized across the country," says StyleList's Marissa Gold. "Whether it's for health or aesthetic reasons or both, no one wants to be fat," Gold adds.
2. Americans are self-loathing. We're a country of fatties. There are way more obese people than cocaine addicts who turn their lives into the subject matter of reality TV shows like 'The Osbournes.'
"Most well-adjusted people don't have a snowball's chance in hell of becoming actual drug addicts," says style guru Nadine Haobsh. "Sure druggie people smell, are out of control and make nonsensical choices that the rest of us find uncomfortable, like trying to be Creative Director for Emanuel Ungaro," adds Haobsh. "But fat people, well, we're all just one breakup or lost job away from cold comfort in the (un)forgiving arms of Domino's or Krispy Kreme. Americans hate fat people because, unlike that glossy celebrity who consumes 8 calories per day and is a secret smackhead, they really are just like us. Only with less willpower and bigger thighs. And that's terrifying."
Americans tend to be harder on the people who reflect their own weaknesses, so they hate-on the bigguns more. "It's strange. Americans are fat, but they have an aversion to fat people more so than drug addicts," says comedy writer and social commentator Caroline Waxler. "Not surprising -- drug addicts are thin! And usually very glamorous," adds Waxler. "They have the smoky eye thing nailed down, without makeup! And, please, who wants to hang out with a bunch of fat people? They might want want some of my Dunkin' Donuts and drug addicts are too busy smoking crack to put their hands in my box of Glazed Munchkins."
3. Fat is front and center. Unlike addiction, which can go undetected for years, fat is a very obvious flaw. "Food takes a more immediate toll on the physical body and what is Hollywood if not a solely an outward-appearance-oriented microcosm of society," explains psychologist Cooper Lawrence. "While addiction has been glamorized, fat people are seen as having no control over what they put in their lazy mouths. It's 'sex, drugs and rock & roll', not 'sex, donuts and rock & roll.'"
Regardless of what you believe, thin is in, fat is out, and addiction, though not preferred, is just one more way for the once-famous to reclaim fame and stardom after years on the rails. Hollywood, Hollywood, you're so vain...
Kelly Osbourne Pics
Kelly Osbourne backstage at G-Star Raw Presents NY Raw Fall/Winter 2010 Collection at Hammerstein Ballroom on February 16 in New York. More Kelly Osbourne photos >>
Getty Images for G-Star
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chelsea Handler Touts Middle East Peace, Goes Topless and Wears Only Star of David Pasties in Israel While Riding a Camel
- Minions Get Naked, Go Streaking in Super Bowl XLIX Ad -- Watch the Craziness Here!
- Kim Kardashian: Jennifer Lawrence "Screamed" When She Saw Me, Loves My Family's Show
- Keira Knightley: I'm a spelling error
- Blake Shelton to make movie debut in Adam Sandler Western spoof
- Supermodel Bar Refaeli getting hitched?
- President Barack Obama Proves He Has Plenty of "Uptown Funk" While Singing Bruno Mars' Hit Single
- Lara Bingle's Baby Bump Makes Its Debut—See the Pic!
- Rest Easy, Jeff Bridges' Sleeping Tapes Album Is Here and There's a Super Bowl Commercial to Go With It: Watch the Teaser!