Daniel Radcliffe Films PSA For Gay Suicide Prevention
Both of Radcliffe's parents are actors, and he explains, "I grew up knowing a lot of gay men and it was never something that I even thought twice about – that some men were gay and some weren't. And then I went to school and (for) the first time ... I came across homophobia. ... I had never encountered it before. It shocked me."
The Trevor Project was founded by three filmmakers in 1998 after their short film 'Trevor' won an Academy Award. The movie concerned a gay teen who attempts suicide. Radcliffe, 20, says he first became aware of The Trevor Project while he was appearing on Broadway in the 2008 revival of 'Equus.'
"I have described myself as being 'gently eccentric' and slightly different as a person just because I've had a very different set of influences growing up than anybody else in my peer group did," Radcliffe said. "I've always felt very lucky to have the life that I've had. I never had to cope with anything serious about my religion or sexual orientation or anything like that.
"I think it's important for somebody from a big, commercial movie series like 'Harry Potter' and particularly because I am not gay or bisexual or transgendered. ... The fact that I am straight makes not a difference, but it shows that straight people are incredibly interested and care a lot about this as well."
MORE ABOUT Daniel Radcliffe
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Daniel Radcliffe Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Best and worst celebrity beach bodies (okay mostly best)
- Garth Brooks spills the beans, announces upcoming world tour
- Sarah Palin's 'Amazing America' to air on Sportsman Channel next year
- TV Guide Network Appoints EVP and General Counsel
- Jane Yusim Upped at ITV Studios America
- 'Friday Night Lights' Movie Doubtful, Says Peter Berg
- Fran Drescher joins Broadway's ?Cinderella' as wicked stepmother
- Debra Messing and Eric McCormack discuss ?Will & Grace' legacy, karaoke, and ?Breaking Bad'
- 'Terminator 5' Has a New Subtitle (Maybe)
- Bryan Singer to Direct 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- 'Scarface': 25 Things You Didn't Know About Al Pacino's Classic Crime Drama