Daniel Radcliffe Films PSA For Gay Suicide Prevention
Both of Radcliffe's parents are actors, and he explains, "I grew up knowing a lot of gay men and it was never something that I even thought twice about – that some men were gay and some weren't. And then I went to school and (for) the first time ... I came across homophobia. ... I had never encountered it before. It shocked me."
The Trevor Project was founded by three filmmakers in 1998 after their short film 'Trevor' won an Academy Award. The movie concerned a gay teen who attempts suicide. Radcliffe, 20, says he first became aware of The Trevor Project while he was appearing on Broadway in the 2008 revival of 'Equus.'
"I have described myself as being 'gently eccentric' and slightly different as a person just because I've had a very different set of influences growing up than anybody else in my peer group did," Radcliffe said. "I've always felt very lucky to have the life that I've had. I never had to cope with anything serious about my religion or sexual orientation or anything like that.
"I think it's important for somebody from a big, commercial movie series like 'Harry Potter' and particularly because I am not gay or bisexual or transgendered. ... The fact that I am straight makes not a difference, but it shows that straight people are incredibly interested and care a lot about this as well."
MORE ABOUT Daniel Radcliffe
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Daniel Radcliffe Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ex-Miss Nevada Katherine Reese busted again for meth possession, report says
- 'Airplane Repo' star Mike Kennedy: Community overreacting to escaped King Cobra
- Video resurfaces of Jared Fogle commenting on 'To Catch a Predator'
- 'King of the Nerds' Canceled at TBS
- Aretha Franklin's Surprise Court Ruling Roils Telluride Festival: "It's a Shame"
- Rowan Atkinson Reenacts Classic 'Mr. Bean' Gag Next to Buckingham Palace to Commemorate Show's 25th Anniversary
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Steve Is Breaking Up Liztin, Bless Him
- Emily Ratajkowski Is Sick of 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the Bane of My Existence'
- Sorry, New 'Walking Dead' Season 6 Spoilers Hint to Gregory, Not Negan