CBS Eyeing Anderson Cooper for Katie Couric's Job?
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 1st 2010 10:01AM
Katie Couric's five-year contract at CBS News will expire, and network executives appear to be exploring a "Plan B" if she departs after her oft-rocky tenure in the anchor's chair. According to the New York Times, that backup plan could very well be CNN host Anderson Cooper, who reportedly met with CBS execs months ago about anchor opportunities at the network.
However, a spokesperson for CNN denies a meeting ever occurred and claim in a statement to EW that Cooper "is not engaged in any additional conversations with them beyond those necessary for his continuing role on 60 Minutes."
Whether Cooper's reported meeting with CBS execs means he is being courted for Couric's job is unclear; he was previously pursued to host the network's 'Early Show,' which has struggled in the ratings. A switch to CBS full-time would be an easy one for Cooper, who is a regular contributor to '60 Minutes.'
Cooper joined CNN in 2001 and has hosted his own show, 'Anderson Cooper 360,' since 2003. He specializes in covering tragedies, including Hurricane Katrina and the recent the earthquake in Haiti.
'360' has not exactly been a ratings boon for CNN and generally ranks third in the 10 PM hour behind FOX's Greta Van Susterein and HLN's Nancy Grace. Often, repeats of MSNBC's Keith Olbermann will edge Cooper out as well. His focus on delivering the news -- and not opinion -- has been cited by industry analysts for his viewership.
Couric's ratings have not changed much either, and she currently ranks behind NBC's Brian Williams and ABC's Diane Sawyer in the evening news race. As we noted in an earlier piece, CBS may be looking to bring down costs in the newsroom due to the economic downturn.
Couric reportedly makes $15 million a year.
NBC's Brian Williams -- who almost permanently holds the top spot among the nightly network news broadcasts -- makes $10 million a year and pulls in, on average, over 3 million more viewers, averaging around 10 million viewers to Couric's 6.5-7 million.
CBS had no comment when asked by the Times, but it is not uncommon for TV stars to take meetings with other networks in the run-up to contract negotiations.
MORE ABOUT Anderson Cooper
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Anderson Cooper Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Beyonce Asked Gwyneth Paltrow For Jay Z Divorce Advice; Jill Duggar is Pregnant: Top 5 Stories
- Jamie Chung: What's In My Bag?
- Molly Ringwald's Daughter Mathilda Has Run-In With Sixteen Candles Poster While School Shopping: Picture
- You've Got ? A Split! Meg Ryan Throws Herself Into Filming Upcoming Movie ?Ithaca' After John Mellencamp Break Up Report
- Elizabeth Vargas and husband split, report says
- Billy Crystal to present Emmy Awards tribute to Robin Williams
- 'Teen Barbie' Lolita Richi says appearance is all natural
- Meg Ryan and John Mellencamp Split After Three Years of Dating: Reports
- Chris Brown Appreciates Karrueche Tran for "Putting Up With My S--t," Talks Babies (Wait, What?!)
- Remember When Beyoncé and Jay Z Went to Cuba? Well, It Was Completely Legal So You Can Stop Worrying About It Now