Michael Douglas Admits He Put Career Before Son
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 1st 2010 12:31PM
In the wake of his son's arrest and pending prison sentence, Michael Douglas, 65, opened up to Vanity Fair about his family's tendency for strained father-son relationships. "The history of second-generation actors isn't great in our industry," he said. "It's kind of a tragic road, actually." No one would know this better than Douglas, who is both the son of a actor and the father of one.
Michael's son, Cameron Douglas, a 31-year-old D.J. and aspiring actor, faces a minimum 10-year prison term for dealing methamphetamine and cocaine. Like his father Kirk, Michael was absent during much of Cameron's childhood, and he fears that this may have played a role in his fate. "My priorities were very similar [to my father's]," Michael said. "Career first."
Michael also struggled with addiction, and went to rehab in 1992 to manage his excessive drinking.
"Anybody who has a relative or child in substance abuse has some idea of what this feels like," he continued. "This is one of those worst-case scenarios. It will ultimately be a painful lesson and very expensive as far as time is concerned. I don't wish it on anybody, but then, you know, look, everybody's got difficult things in life."
Despite the rough patches in his life, Michael has made peace with his own father, and is determined to be more involved in the lives of his two younger children, Carys and Dylan. His wife Catherine Zeta-Jones has witnessed him doing just that. "I'm sure if he could breast-feed, he would have," she said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- 'Vampire Diaries': Details on Paul Wesley's Directorial Return Revealed
- Dress du Jour: Emma Watson's Chic Balenciaga Ensemble
- Sharon Stone Drama 'Agent X' Ordered to Series at TNT
- 'Grimm' Star Bitsie Tulloch Thinks These 5 Supernatural TV Dramas Are Totally Worth Watching
- 'Nightcrawler' Review: One of the Best Movies of the Year
- The 31 Best Action Movies on Netflix Right Now