Michael Douglas Admits He Put Career Before Son
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 1st 2010 12:31PM
In the wake of his son's arrest and pending prison sentence, Michael Douglas, 65, opened up to Vanity Fair about his family's tendency for strained father-son relationships. "The history of second-generation actors isn't great in our industry," he said. "It's kind of a tragic road, actually." No one would know this better than Douglas, who is both the son of a actor and the father of one.
Michael's son, Cameron Douglas, a 31-year-old D.J. and aspiring actor, faces a minimum 10-year prison term for dealing methamphetamine and cocaine. Like his father Kirk, Michael was absent during much of Cameron's childhood, and he fears that this may have played a role in his fate. "My priorities were very similar [to my father's]," Michael said. "Career first."
Michael also struggled with addiction, and went to rehab in 1992 to manage his excessive drinking.
"Anybody who has a relative or child in substance abuse has some idea of what this feels like," he continued. "This is one of those worst-case scenarios. It will ultimately be a painful lesson and very expensive as far as time is concerned. I don't wish it on anybody, but then, you know, look, everybody's got difficult things in life."
Despite the rough patches in his life, Michael has made peace with his own father, and is determined to be more involved in the lives of his two younger children, Carys and Dylan. His wife Catherine Zeta-Jones has witnessed him doing just that. "I'm sure if he could breast-feed, he would have," she said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Marvel Snaps Up Old 'Spider-Man 4' Date, Likely for 'Avengers 3'
- Soska Sisters to Direct 'Painkiller Jane' Adaptation (Exclusive)
- Comic-Con 2014: Image Comics 'Moves Forward' with New Sci-Fi Titles
- Here's how ?Supernatural' star Misha Collins is breaking world records
- '80s TV stars sing ?Let It Go'
- John Boyega is 'Aiming' for a Marvel Movie Role
- Dan Aykroyd Assures Us That 'Ghostbusters 3' Will Start Filming Next Spring (VIDEO)
- This Is What 'The Purge: Anarchy' Would Look Like In Canada