Inside the Conan O'Brien Twitter Explosion
By Zach Dionne Posted Mar 3rd 2010 06:20PM
It took just seven tweets in as many days to garner Conan O'Brien half a million followers. Whoa. Conan, whose Twitter bio reads, "I had a show. Then I had a different show. Now I have a Twitter account," has skyrocketed to must-follow status since... well, since his very first tweet.
His eighth tweet popped up this afternoon -- yes, each tweet seems dang near newsworthy -- and was retweeted more than 100 times in two minutes.
Why is it that an iconic? It took an insightful user like Roger Ebert months to notch 90,000 followers, but Conan's Twitter army has multiplied at an unprecedented rate in a single week. Chalk it up to the "I'm with Coco" slogan still banging around in our collective consciousness -- or perhaps the simple fact that even in 140 characters or less, Conan's trademark humor and sensibility is loud and clear:
While celebrities have registered Twitter accounts en masse, Conan has never taken a traditional approach. Before the deliberately-paced tweets on his personal account started a sensation, he debuted a segment on his 'Tonight Show' called TwitterTracker, which compiled the best (see: most mundane, absurd) celebrity tweets and then commented on them with hilarious, capitalized rhymes.
When Conan's newest tweet hits the feed, office workers around America (and here at PopEater) shout cross-cubicle recaps to each other. Then we wait. We laugh. We retweet.
Conan's tremendous start on Twitter not only highlights the level of excitement his return to television would be met with, it also reminds us that regardless of the medium Big Red chooses, he's always going to make us laugh.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Keeping Up With the Kardashians Recap: Scott Disick Disappears Following Birth of Baby Reign
- Game of Thrones Recap: Meet The Sand Snakes, Plus An Uncertain Fate for Grey Worm and Selmy
- Real Housewives of Atlanta Recap: NeNe Leakes Snaps at Kenya Moore -- After Kenya Accuses Her of Flirting With Cynthia Bailey's Husband
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' scores big at box office
- Jamie Foxx criticized for his version of national anthem
- Princess Diana's pal says she would have loved a granddaughter
- Britney Spears and Iggy Azalea Release Their Ridiculously Catchy New Single "Pretty Girls"—Listen Now!
- Surprise! Revenge's Big Reveal & Our Hopes for The Series Finale
- Josh Dallas Gushes Over Fatherhood, Wants His Baby Boy to "Have a Little Buddy" Soon—Watch Now!