Sacha Baron Cohen's Oscar Skit Yanked
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 3rd 2010 07:24AM
If there was anyone who could fall into the "too racy for the Oscars" category when it came to writing a skit, Sacha Baron Cohen sits at the top of the list. So it's no surprise that the man behind raunchy-yet-hysterical alter egos like 'Borat' and 'Bruno' had his skit vetoed from this weekend's Oscars telecast. Why? Because it apparently contained some jokes directed at 'Avatar' director James Cameron, and the show's producers didn't want to insult the man behind the biggest movie ever.
In a report broken by New York Magazine's Vulture blog, the story goes like this: Cohen was announced as an Oscar presenter just last week, so he got going on penning his skit, which would be done along with Ben Stiller. One would think that has the potential to be hysterical, but in the mind of show producer Bill Mechanic, it was too risky.
Vulture reports that Baron Cohen's skit involved him dressing in a blue 'Avatar' female Na'vi costume, unable to speak English. Stiller would be his translator, but as the skit goes on, frustration between the two grows because apparently Stiller isn't translating properly. It all culminates with Baron Cohen showing everyone that he/she is pregnant ... with James Cameron's baby.
"Let's just say that Cameron isn't known to be, shall we say, 'self-deprecating,'" a Vulture insider explained.
So what now for Sacha? He's staying put in London and skipping the Oscars altogether. His spokesman explained the situation to Vulture.
"I hate to use the term, because it's so ubiquitous, but there were 'creative differences.' Nothing acrimonious, but both sides felt that since they couldn't agree, [Cohen] might as well remain in London," Matt Labov said.
As previously reported, Baron Cohen was also producer's first choice to host this year's Oscars, but the Academy similarly balked at the selection of the raunchy comic.
While we would have loved to see the skit, we get the apprehension on the side of the producers, as Baron Cohen has a history of extreme awards show shenanigans. At the 2009 MTV Movie Awards, a bare-buttocked Baron Cohen -- decked out in full 'Bruno' garb -- plummeted from the ceiling on a wire, landing crotch-first in the face of rapper Eminem. The accused-of-being-homophobic rapper stormed out in disgust, but it was later revealed that the whole thing was planned from the get-go. Video (Warning: Male butt) below:
MORE ABOUT Eminem
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Eminem Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Facts of Life' cast reunite to talk show's impact, sitcoms and George Clooney
- Mindy Kaling: I would've married BJ Novack if he asked
- 'Easy Rider' chopper going up for auction next month
- Jimmy Fallon and Julianna Margulies Are The Most Awkward High School Principals Ever
- Sky Deutschland: BSkyB Takeover Offer Too Low
- ITV Scraps U.K. Version of Israeli Singing Competition 'Rising Star'
- This ?Scandal' clothing line lets you dress just like Olivia Pope
- ?Orange Is the New Black' meets ?Golden Girls' in new mash-up video
- Bruce Springsteen headlines Stand Up For Heroes event
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks