Sacha Baron Cohen's Oscar Skit Yanked
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 3rd 2010 07:24AM
If there was anyone who could fall into the "too racy for the Oscars" category when it came to writing a skit, Sacha Baron Cohen sits at the top of the list. So it's no surprise that the man behind raunchy-yet-hysterical alter egos like 'Borat' and 'Bruno' had his skit vetoed from this weekend's Oscars telecast. Why? Because it apparently contained some jokes directed at 'Avatar' director James Cameron, and the show's producers didn't want to insult the man behind the biggest movie ever.
In a report broken by New York Magazine's Vulture blog, the story goes like this: Cohen was announced as an Oscar presenter just last week, so he got going on penning his skit, which would be done along with Ben Stiller. One would think that has the potential to be hysterical, but in the mind of show producer Bill Mechanic, it was too risky.
Vulture reports that Baron Cohen's skit involved him dressing in a blue 'Avatar' female Na'vi costume, unable to speak English. Stiller would be his translator, but as the skit goes on, frustration between the two grows because apparently Stiller isn't translating properly. It all culminates with Baron Cohen showing everyone that he/she is pregnant ... with James Cameron's baby.
"Let's just say that Cameron isn't known to be, shall we say, 'self-deprecating,'" a Vulture insider explained.
So what now for Sacha? He's staying put in London and skipping the Oscars altogether. His spokesman explained the situation to Vulture.
"I hate to use the term, because it's so ubiquitous, but there were 'creative differences.' Nothing acrimonious, but both sides felt that since they couldn't agree, [Cohen] might as well remain in London," Matt Labov said.
As previously reported, Baron Cohen was also producer's first choice to host this year's Oscars, but the Academy similarly balked at the selection of the raunchy comic.
While we would have loved to see the skit, we get the apprehension on the side of the producers, as Baron Cohen has a history of extreme awards show shenanigans. At the 2009 MTV Movie Awards, a bare-buttocked Baron Cohen -- decked out in full 'Bruno' garb -- plummeted from the ceiling on a wire, landing crotch-first in the face of rapper Eminem. The accused-of-being-homophobic rapper stormed out in disgust, but it was later revealed that the whole thing was planned from the get-go. Video (Warning: Male butt) below:
MORE ABOUT Eminem
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Eminem Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Downton Abbey' cast give some hints on Season 5
- Lana Del Rey: I slept with 'a lot' of guys in the industry but couldn't get a record deal
- Heavy metal recording contract for 3 New York City middle school boys gets judge's approval
- Dwayne Johnson 'Hustles for the Muscle' With Jimmy Fallon (Video)
- 'The Giver': Why It Took 20 Years for the YA Adaptation to Hit Theaters
- 'Halo' TV Series in Limbo Following Xbox Shake-up
- Chris Harrison blogs ?The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All'
- Listen: Kate Hudson shares her favorite ?Overboard' lines and so much more
- Best of Late Night TV: John Stamos' New 'Manny' Service, Dwayne Johnson's Thigh Workout, Ricky Gervais' Marriage Apathy (VIDEO)
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True