Tiger Woods' College Girlfriend Takes His Side
By Sam Brand Posted Mar 3rd 2010 06:08PM
Irene Folstrom writes on Golf.com. She dated Woods while an undergrad at Stanford in the mid '90s. Her essay of admiration, published Wednesday, offers the first supportive words for the embattled superstar delivered by a lover, former or current, since Woods crashed his Escalade on Nov. 27. And Folstrom isn't "coming forward now for money or to advance any pathetic showbiz aspirations," she writes. Of course, that's what Joslyn James said...
The 500 word reminiscence includes details of Folstrom and Tiger Woods' year and a half romance, which ended amicably when the golfer became a pro after his sophomore year and Folstrom decided to continue her studies.
"The speculation that he's being treated for sex addiction is surprising because we enjoyed a normal sexual relationship," the advocate for Native American causes writes.
Just about every aspect of the relationship appears normal.
Folstrom became close with Tiger's parents: "Earl often made me laugh so hard, my stomach muscles cramped." She and Tiger loved eating Chinese food, and they would drive down to Southern California and spend time on the beach.
"We would steal a bottle of whiskey from Earl or I'd use my fake ID to buy a jug of wine, and we'd hang out and dream about the future."
Normal college kids doing normal college things.
But Tiger wasn't normal. He never has been. He was hailed as the savior of an old man's sport before he hit puberty. He was blessed with tremendous athleticism, and perhaps an even more tremendous mind.
"Tiger had an ability to shut things out and compartmentalize his emotions," Folstrom writes. "Even back then he felt enormous pressure to be Tiger Woods."
"Maybe this was his form of escape."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- A Teenager Bested Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, and Kate Spade as the Most Googled Fashion Designer of 2014
- Chris Rock Says Hollywood Is "Scared" by Sony Hack: "Nobody Knows What to Do"
- Steve Carell's North Korea Movie Pulled After Sony's Drama With The Interview
- Larry King grills Willie Robertson on his views on homosexuality
- Jason Segel reveals his worst nightmare
- Stephen Collins on molestation scandal: 'I'm a human being with flaws'
- Maria Menounos Goes Inside YouTube's Official Movie Making Studio—Find Out Why Ron Howard and Brian Grazer Are Interested!
- Ben McKenzie Reveals Biggest Dating Regrets, Admits to Using "Pink, Fluffy" Handcuffs With an Ex
- Hold On, Smash Is Coming Back in the Best Possible Way?!