James Cameron's 'OK' With Sacha's Oscar 'Avatar' Bash
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 4th 2010 06:55AM
Who knew that James Cameron was such a good sport? The 'Avatar' director says that he has no problem with skits poking fun at his kinda-sorta-successful movie this year at the Oscars, despite a story yesterday claiming Oscar producers yanked a Sacha Baron Cohen skit out of fear of upsetting Mr. Cameron. "If they want to poke fun at 'Avatar' Sunday, that's OK by me," Cameron told E! Online.
On Wednesday, New York Magazine's Vulture blog broke a story claiming a skit in which Baron Cohen would be dressed up as a blue 'Avatar' Na'vi was yanked from the upcoming Oscars broadcast, as the show's producers were worried it might upset one of the night's biggest guests. Apparently, the plan was to have co-presenter Ben Stiller as Sacha's Na'vi translator, but as the skit goes on, frustration between the two grows because Stiller isn't translating properly. It all culminates with Baron Cohen showing everyone that he/she is pregnant ... with James Cameron's baby.
Cameron tells E! that he had no knowledge of the skit or any decision to pull it.
"The Oscars are a celebration of movies... even the gaffes and out of bounds stuff are all part of the fun," he said.
After the skit was allegedly yanked, Baron Cohen's camp said that the 'Borat' and 'Bruno' mastermind would likely not go to the Oscars, instead saving himself a trip from London. But now that Cameron says he's cool with it, we wonder if it will be back on ... especially now that there's some buzz about a possible must-see moment.
But will that work?
"Do you do the skit even after people have read about it and know the punchline?" asks Todd Gold, Managing Editor of FanCast.com. "They may have to come come up with something new, but that shouldn't be hard. Hopefully Sascha Baron Cohen has more than one idea – and hopefully he and Ben Stiller will still make some fun of 'Avatar.'"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Better blonde or brunette?
- Dean Jones, boyish Disney star, dies at 84
- Avril Lavigne announces separation from husband Chad Kroeger
- Hayao Miyazaki to Build Nature Sanctuary for Children on Remote Japanese Island
- Stephen Colbert Promotes 'Late Show' With Snapchat Videos
- 'Mr. Robot' Boss Talks Finale and Season 2: Elliot "Is Past the Point of No Return"
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Here's Lucy! Cate Blanchett to Play Lucille Ball
- Oscars 2016 Ceremony Will Have Two (or More) Hosts, Since It Went So Well Last Time
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Looking at Gina Rodriguez, Tatiana Maslany, Olivia Cooke For Lead Role