James Cameron's 'OK' With Sacha's Oscar 'Avatar' Bash
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 4th 2010 06:55AM
Who knew that James Cameron was such a good sport? The 'Avatar' director says that he has no problem with skits poking fun at his kinda-sorta-successful movie this year at the Oscars, despite a story yesterday claiming Oscar producers yanked a Sacha Baron Cohen skit out of fear of upsetting Mr. Cameron. "If they want to poke fun at 'Avatar' Sunday, that's OK by me," Cameron told E! Online.
On Wednesday, New York Magazine's Vulture blog broke a story claiming a skit in which Baron Cohen would be dressed up as a blue 'Avatar' Na'vi was yanked from the upcoming Oscars broadcast, as the show's producers were worried it might upset one of the night's biggest guests. Apparently, the plan was to have co-presenter Ben Stiller as Sacha's Na'vi translator, but as the skit goes on, frustration between the two grows because Stiller isn't translating properly. It all culminates with Baron Cohen showing everyone that he/she is pregnant ... with James Cameron's baby.
Cameron tells E! that he had no knowledge of the skit or any decision to pull it.
"The Oscars are a celebration of movies... even the gaffes and out of bounds stuff are all part of the fun," he said.
After the skit was allegedly yanked, Baron Cohen's camp said that the 'Borat' and 'Bruno' mastermind would likely not go to the Oscars, instead saving himself a trip from London. But now that Cameron says he's cool with it, we wonder if it will be back on ... especially now that there's some buzz about a possible must-see moment.
But will that work?
"Do you do the skit even after people have read about it and know the punchline?" asks Todd Gold, Managing Editor of FanCast.com. "They may have to come come up with something new, but that shouldn't be hard. Hopefully Sascha Baron Cohen has more than one idea – and hopefully he and Ben Stiller will still make some fun of 'Avatar.'"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young taking break from group due to illness
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps from balcony in apparent suicide attempt, report says
- FOX News announces new daytime show 'Outnumbered'
- 'American Idol's' Caleb Johnson: Ryan Seacrest Has 'The Voice of an Angel'
- Oliver Stone Slams Chinese Film Industry at Beijing Festival
- Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing 17-Year-Old Boy in 1999
- Confessions from a ?Real World' open casting call
- ?Arrow' recap: It's not easy being green
- ?Survivor: Cagayan': And the eliminated contestant is?
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Post-Credits Clip Teases 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- This Is the Reason 'Noah' Is Full of White People
- Chloe Grace Moretz Officially Joins 'The 5th Wave'