James Cameron's 'OK' With Sacha's Oscar 'Avatar' Bash
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 4th 2010 06:55AM
Who knew that James Cameron was such a good sport? The 'Avatar' director says that he has no problem with skits poking fun at his kinda-sorta-successful movie this year at the Oscars, despite a story yesterday claiming Oscar producers yanked a Sacha Baron Cohen skit out of fear of upsetting Mr. Cameron. "If they want to poke fun at 'Avatar' Sunday, that's OK by me," Cameron told E! Online.
On Wednesday, New York Magazine's Vulture blog broke a story claiming a skit in which Baron Cohen would be dressed up as a blue 'Avatar' Na'vi was yanked from the upcoming Oscars broadcast, as the show's producers were worried it might upset one of the night's biggest guests. Apparently, the plan was to have co-presenter Ben Stiller as Sacha's Na'vi translator, but as the skit goes on, frustration between the two grows because Stiller isn't translating properly. It all culminates with Baron Cohen showing everyone that he/she is pregnant ... with James Cameron's baby.
Cameron tells E! that he had no knowledge of the skit or any decision to pull it.
"The Oscars are a celebration of movies... even the gaffes and out of bounds stuff are all part of the fun," he said.
After the skit was allegedly yanked, Baron Cohen's camp said that the 'Borat' and 'Bruno' mastermind would likely not go to the Oscars, instead saving himself a trip from London. But now that Cameron says he's cool with it, we wonder if it will be back on ... especially now that there's some buzz about a possible must-see moment.
But will that work?
"Do you do the skit even after people have read about it and know the punchline?" asks Todd Gold, Managing Editor of FanCast.com. "They may have to come come up with something new, but that shouldn't be hard. Hopefully Sascha Baron Cohen has more than one idea – and hopefully he and Ben Stiller will still make some fun of 'Avatar.'"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Anita Baker sued by lawyer who claims she owes him money
- Country trio Lady Antebellum's adult sound on new album '747'
- New 'Horrible Bosses 2' Trailer Shows Awkward Sex Therapy Session
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Stars and Creators Tackle Week 2 Mysteries
- New 'Twilight' Short Films Are Coming to Facebook
- ?Sons of Anarchy' star Theo Rossi on the shows that make him cry
- That ?Tetris' movie you always wanted is finally happening
- New Banksy artwork appears in English seaside town
- Miles Teller Says the 'Fantastic Four' Reboot Is 'Different in Every Way' From Original
- 11 Essential 'Gilmore Girls' Episodes You Should Definitely Watch On Netflix (VIDEO)
- 'Tetris' Will Become a Movie for Some Reason