'SNL' 'Presidential Reunion' Aims for Funny But Fails
By Sam Brand Posted Mar 5th 2010 11:00AM
But we'll let you decide for yourself.
Sponsored by a group called Americans for Financial Reform, the six-minute video has racked up over 1.5 million views since it was posted on Funny or Die on Wednesday.
Directed by Ron Howard, the short gathers all of 'Saturday Night Live's' Presidents in the same skit for the first time ever.
Will Ferrell, part owner of FunnyOrDie.com, plays George W. Bush. Darrell Hammond takes on Bill Clinton. Dana Carvey nails George H. W. Bush. Dan Aykroyd portrays Jimmy Carter. And Chevy Chase, the first 'SNL' player to ever parody a Commander in Chief, tackles Gerald Ford.
Jim Carrey, who rose to fame on 'SNL' rival 'In Living Color,' stands in for the deceased Phil Hartman to portray Ronald Reagan.
The former Presidents storm into the bedroom of President Obama and his wife Michelle, played by Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph, each idiosyncratically harping on the financial pitfalls the American public faces today.
It's not exactly subject matter ripe for comedic exploitation. But the Presidents try to squeeze it out.
"Dude, it was the '90s," Hammond's Clinton says when asked why he supported policies deregulating the financial industry. "People did all sorts of crazy things."
"When I put the Iraq war on my credit card, I never dreamed I would pay 28 percent in interest rates," Ferrell's George W. laments.
The video's main intention, according to Howard and writer Adam McKay, is to convince the American public of the need for an independent Consumer Financial Protection Agency. Hilarious, no?
If there's any comedic highlight here, it's Carrey's caricatured take on Reagan.
His face frozen in a leathery scowl, Carrey tells Armisen, "I've come back from the dead to tell Mr. Reach-Across-The-Aisle here to grow a pair."
"It's a bitch. It's a bitch," he continues. "But as George Washington once said to John Adams: 'Tag. You're it.'"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Stephen Hawking: Zayn Malik Could Still Be in One Direction in Another Universe
- Naya Rivera Highlights Her Baby Bump in a $210 Fitted Black Dress: See Her Sultry Maternity Red Carpet Look
- Kim Richards Reflects on Drunken Arrest With Dr. Phil: Watch
- Bill Belichick caught ogling Chrissy Teigen
- Billy Corgan trades Pumpkins for pro wrestling
- George Jones' wife: God sent me to save him
- Kim Richards' Son Chad Says Brandi Glanville Is ''Toxic'' as RHOBH Star Insists, ''I Have Been Sober''
- Jake Gyllenhaal Talks About Being Single and Reveals His Boy Band Past—Watch Now!
- Creator Mark Schwahn Gets Chills Every Time He Sees the Insane Ending of Last Night's The Royals—Watch Now!