'SNL' 'Presidential Reunion' Aims for Funny But Fails
By Sam Brand Posted Mar 5th 2010 11:00AM
But we'll let you decide for yourself.
Sponsored by a group called Americans for Financial Reform, the six-minute video has racked up over 1.5 million views since it was posted on Funny or Die on Wednesday.
Directed by Ron Howard, the short gathers all of 'Saturday Night Live's' Presidents in the same skit for the first time ever.
Will Ferrell, part owner of FunnyOrDie.com, plays George W. Bush. Darrell Hammond takes on Bill Clinton. Dana Carvey nails George H. W. Bush. Dan Aykroyd portrays Jimmy Carter. And Chevy Chase, the first 'SNL' player to ever parody a Commander in Chief, tackles Gerald Ford.
Jim Carrey, who rose to fame on 'SNL' rival 'In Living Color,' stands in for the deceased Phil Hartman to portray Ronald Reagan.
The former Presidents storm into the bedroom of President Obama and his wife Michelle, played by Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph, each idiosyncratically harping on the financial pitfalls the American public faces today.
It's not exactly subject matter ripe for comedic exploitation. But the Presidents try to squeeze it out.
"Dude, it was the '90s," Hammond's Clinton says when asked why he supported policies deregulating the financial industry. "People did all sorts of crazy things."
"When I put the Iraq war on my credit card, I never dreamed I would pay 28 percent in interest rates," Ferrell's George W. laments.
The video's main intention, according to Howard and writer Adam McKay, is to convince the American public of the need for an independent Consumer Financial Protection Agency. Hilarious, no?
If there's any comedic highlight here, it's Carrey's caricatured take on Reagan.
His face frozen in a leathery scowl, Carrey tells Armisen, "I've come back from the dead to tell Mr. Reach-Across-The-Aisle here to grow a pair."
"It's a bitch. It's a bitch," he continues. "But as George Washington once said to John Adams: 'Tag. You're it.'"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sony CEO Michael Lynton Defends The Interview Decision: "We Have Not Backed Down"
- Lance Bass' Wedding Location Revealed! 'N Sync Singer to Marry Michael Turchin
- Laverne Cox Got a Christmas Card From Beyonce, Almost Couldn't Handle It
- Sony defends decision to shelve release of 'The Interview,' saying studio 'had no choice'
- 14 movies that may not have made it to theaters today
- Hackers praise Sony for 'The Interview' cancellation, make new threats
- Ray Rice and Future Wife Janay Palmer Kissed While in Handcuffs in Aftermath of Elevator Fight: New Surveillance Footage Released
- The Duck Dynasty Family Christmas Card Is Here and the Robertsons All Have Dancing With the Stars Fever!
- ''No F--ks Given:'' Woman Defies Parking Enforcement, Drives Off With Boot on Her Car—Watch!