'SNL' 'Presidential Reunion' Aims for Funny But Fails
By Sam Brand Posted Mar 5th 2010 11:00AM
But we'll let you decide for yourself.
Sponsored by a group called Americans for Financial Reform, the six-minute video has racked up over 1.5 million views since it was posted on Funny or Die on Wednesday.
Directed by Ron Howard, the short gathers all of 'Saturday Night Live's' Presidents in the same skit for the first time ever.
Will Ferrell, part owner of FunnyOrDie.com, plays George W. Bush. Darrell Hammond takes on Bill Clinton. Dana Carvey nails George H. W. Bush. Dan Aykroyd portrays Jimmy Carter. And Chevy Chase, the first 'SNL' player to ever parody a Commander in Chief, tackles Gerald Ford.
Jim Carrey, who rose to fame on 'SNL' rival 'In Living Color,' stands in for the deceased Phil Hartman to portray Ronald Reagan.
The former Presidents storm into the bedroom of President Obama and his wife Michelle, played by Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph, each idiosyncratically harping on the financial pitfalls the American public faces today.
It's not exactly subject matter ripe for comedic exploitation. But the Presidents try to squeeze it out.
"Dude, it was the '90s," Hammond's Clinton says when asked why he supported policies deregulating the financial industry. "People did all sorts of crazy things."
"When I put the Iraq war on my credit card, I never dreamed I would pay 28 percent in interest rates," Ferrell's George W. laments.
The video's main intention, according to Howard and writer Adam McKay, is to convince the American public of the need for an independent Consumer Financial Protection Agency. Hilarious, no?
If there's any comedic highlight here, it's Carrey's caricatured take on Reagan.
His face frozen in a leathery scowl, Carrey tells Armisen, "I've come back from the dead to tell Mr. Reach-Across-The-Aisle here to grow a pair."
"It's a bitch. It's a bitch," he continues. "But as George Washington once said to John Adams: 'Tag. You're it.'"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Aniston Stopped Working Out for Cake Movie Role; The View Panelists Get Heated Over Bill Cosby: Top 5 Stories
- Eminem Raps About Raping Iggy Azalea, Aussie Singer Responds: "I'm Bored of the Old Men Threatening Young Women"
- Kim Kardashian's Nude Paper Magazine Shots Being Used in SAT Prep Class -- See Her Butt Used For Math Equations Here!
- ‘Super Mommy' Phaedra Parks Opens Up About Single Mom Status
- Travis Alexander Never Loved Jodi Arias, Expert Testifies: Inside Their ?Below The Waist' Relationship
- Fame Over Friends: Money-Hungry Kardashians Have ‘Forgotten’ The Little People In Their Quest For Spotlight, Pals Claim
- Snooki drops to 99 pounds two months after giving birth
- Bill Cosby takes comedy act to Bahamas amid controversy
- Bill Cosby to remain trustee at Temple University
- Kim Kardashian Cancels Trip to India—Find Out Why!
- 2014 Latin Grammy Awards: Marc Anthony, Pitbull, Chris Brown & More Take the Stage—Plus, the Winners List!
- Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort Recreate The Fault in Our Stars Bench Scene at Dedication Ceremony—Look!