Family, Friends Respond to Farrah Fawcett's Missing 'Memoriam' Mention
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 8th 2010 07:00PM
Fawcett's longtime partner Ryan O'Neal isn't satisfied with the Academy's explanation. "They gave mentions to sound guys and other writers and without being disrespectful, Farrah Fawcett was an icon and a household name," he told RadarOnline.com. "Quite frankly, we were stunned at the decision not to include her in the tribute and I feel that the Academy should be scolded for that, everyone was shocked."
Fawcett's close friend Craig Nevius, who produced her made-for-TV biopic, was also outraged. Nevius told PopEater exclusively, "The Academy must have forgotten that Farrah Fawcett was in critically-acclaimed films, starring Academy Award winner Robert Duvall and last night's best actor winner Jeff Bridges. When Robert Duvall wrote the script for 'The Apostle,' he sent it to Farrah right away, and asked her to pick any part she would like. Robert once told me that watching Farrah act was like 'eating caviar,' because she was that good. Robert wouldn't have sent her that script if he didn't believe she had the ability to translate her talent from TV to film."
He added, "'The Apostle' was one of Farrah's most proud moments in her long career. Farrah always felt she was too easily categorized as an Angel, and she was proud of her work, but she was so much more than that. Farrah had a very eclectic career, just as she wanted it. She worked in film, on stage, she was an artist, and all of these things may have confused people. She was too easily categorized as just a 'Charlie's Angel.' I turned off the Oscars after I had seen Farrah left out of the show."
Watch the 2010 Oscars 'In Memoriam' Montage
Fawcett received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture for her performance in 1986's drama 'Extremities'.
"Farrah was a member of the Academy for over 40 years and we could not believe she did not get a mention," O'Neal said and added that he and his daughter Tatum O'Neal plan to write to the Academy asking for an explanation.
"It was a terrible decision and very hurtful," he said.
Others shared the disappointment of Fawcett's close friends and family. Fellow '70s sex symbol Jane Fonda wrote, "Where was Farrah Fawcett? She should have been included."
Legendary film critic Roger Ebert wrote via Twitter: "Major fail. ... No Farrah in the memorial. They have a whole lot of 'splaining to do."
No explanation is necessary, says Unger. "No matter how carefully and how conscientiously people address who is included, there are people who just simply can't be," she tells E! News. "In any given year there will always be some people that other people think should have been included and that there's more justification for one person versus another. It is impossible to include everybody."
Bea Arthur and Ed McMahon, performers known primarily for their work on TV, were also notably absent from the montage.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Frances Reid, Feb. 3: For more than 40 years, the beloved actress played the role of Alice Horton on 'Days of Our Lives.' The role earned her Daytime Emmy nominations in 1979 and 1987. She was 95.
Thos Robinson, Getty Images
Thos Robinson, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fifi Geldof Writes Angry Message After Late Sister Peaches Geldof's Autopsy Results
- Taylor Swift Gives Advice About Unrequited Love to a Young Fan: Read Her Instagram Response
- Ben Affleck as Batman: See the Latest Picture of the Actor in the Batsuit
- High School Drama, Revisited! Ian Ziering Train Wreck Remark ?Really Hurt' Tori Spelling, Jennie Garth Says
- Susan Richardson, Of ?Eight Is Enough' Fame, Opens Up About Battles With Health, Finances, Death & More
- Dressed To Kill? Celebs Show Us Their Best And Worst Fashion Choices ? See The Looks And Decide Which Ones You Love And Hate!
- Queen Elizabeth II photobombs young tourists' selfie
- Fifi Geldof posts angry rant following Peaches' autopsy results, report says
- Report: Melissa McCarthy skipping Jenny McCarthy's Wedding
- Morgan Freeman Sucks Helium With Jimmy Fallon, Talks New Beekeeping Habit—Watch Now!
- Investigators Solve "Creepy and Disturbing" Porcelain Doll Case in California—Get the Scoop!
- Is Charlize Theron Engaged to Sean Penn? Star Spotted With Gleaming Ring on That Finger