Elinor Burkett Provides Oscar Night's 'Kanye' Moment
By Marc Schneider Posted Mar 8th 2010 09:09AM
In what is being dubbed the "Kanye" moment of the night, Burkett rushed the stage while Williams was doing his thank-yous and verbally nudged him aside so she could speak. The problem is that she was not supposed to accept the award, and because of personal animosity between the two filmmakers, she said Williams rushed to the stage while his cane-wielding mother blocked Burkett from exiting the aisle.
In an interview with Salon, Burkett said she was shut out of Oscar-related events and because the two aren't speaking to each other (related to a lawsuit over the film), they did not discuss who would be allowed to speak if they won.
So, when their names WERE called, "he raced up there to accept the award. And his mother took her cane and blocked me. So I couldn't get up there very fast." WATCH:
The film is a story of a Zimbabwean singer-songwriter who was born severely disabled, but Burkett tells Salon it was supposed to be about a whole band, and not just Prudence. "The movie was my idea," she says. "I live in Zimbabwe. Roger had never even heard of Zimbabwe before I told him about this."
By Oscar night, her frustration had boiled over. "You know, I felt my role in this [film] has been denigrated again and again, and it wasn't going to happen this time."
Williams, also speaking to Salon, argued that Burkett disowned the film because of the creative differences, but that she was still eligible for an award. He says the academy decided he would be the one to speak if they won.
"She just ambushed me," he said of the moment she emerged on stage. "I was sort of in shock."
So, did his mom really try to speech-block Burkett with her cane? "My mother got up to hug me," he says. "And my mother is 87 years old. She was excited."
Williams can't help but agree this situation was similar to Kanye West's interruption of Taylor Swift at last year's MTV VMAs
"She did! She pulled a Kanye. And it's a shame, because this is such positive, happy film."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Scott Disick's Drinking Raises Eyebrows Before Kris Jenner's Birthday Party: Watch KUWTK Clip!
- LuAnn de Lesseps Is So Cool, Dishes About RHONY Drama Queens Bethenny Frankel and Ramona Singer: Watch!
- Jonathan Crombie Dead: Anne of Green Gables Actor Dies at 48 of Brain Hemorrhage
- Miley Cyrus and Scout Willis flash their nipples in photo shoot
- R&B singer Johnny Kemp found dead on beach
- Shia LaBeouf says rehab therapy was like method acting
- Vanessa and Nick Lachey's Family Is Everything As Daughter Brooklyn's Face Is Revealed for the First Time
- Nick Cannon Admits He's a "Hopeless Romantic," Thinks Mariah Carey Will "Always Be the Love of My Life"
- Miley Cyrus Honors Joan Jett With Nipple Pasties...But People Are Focusing on Something Else—See the NSFW Pic!