Academy: Farrah Fawcett Omitted Because of TV-Heavy Career
By Bryan Alexander Posted Mar 9th 2010 08:18PM
The controversial decision to leave the 'Charlie's Angels' star off the list was the result of a long discussion, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences executive director Bruce Davis told the Associated Press.
Fawcett was best known for her "remarkable television work," he said, and would be more appropriately honored by the television academy at the Emmy Awards. The Academy Awards recognizes achievement in movies.
"In every category, you're going to miss some wonderful people," said Davis, who has helped assemble Oscar's 'In Memoriam' montage since it began in 1993.
Fawcett had movie roles in 'Logan's Run,' 'The Apostle' and 'Extremities.' Her omission from the Oscar memorial list has sparked outrage on the Internet and from her family, who said in a statement that they were "deeply saddened."
When asked why Michael Jackson was included when actors were left out, Davis explained that Jackson had appeared in a popular theatrical film recently ('This is It'). Fawcett and Jackson both died on June 25.
"Think of all the blogging we would have gotten if we had left him out!" he said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Timberlake Visits Pregnant Jessica Biel on Set of Her New Film The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Photos
- Kelly Osbourne Quits Fashion Police: Khloe Kardashian and NeNe Leakes Being Considered to Replace Her
- Sharon Osbourne, Melissa Rivers React to Kelly Osbourne Quitting Fashion Police
- Jennifer Lawrence blasts story of on-set fight
- Jennifer Lawrence reportedly has meltdown on set of David O. Russell movie
- Rosie O'Donnell files for divorce from wife Michelle Rounds
- Even Kate Upton Needs a Touch-Up! Model Steps Out Makeup-Free, Reveals Blotchy Skin
- Amber Rose's Butt Comes Up in Manslaughter Trial: Defendant Claims She Gave Amber Injections!
- Robert De Niro Didn't Mean to Not Pay $6.4 Million in Taxes—the IRS Just Mixed Up His Address!