Academy: Farrah Fawcett Omitted Because of TV-Heavy Career
By Bryan Alexander Posted Mar 9th 2010 08:18PM
The controversial decision to leave the 'Charlie's Angels' star off the list was the result of a long discussion, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences executive director Bruce Davis told the Associated Press.
Fawcett was best known for her "remarkable television work," he said, and would be more appropriately honored by the television academy at the Emmy Awards. The Academy Awards recognizes achievement in movies.
"In every category, you're going to miss some wonderful people," said Davis, who has helped assemble Oscar's 'In Memoriam' montage since it began in 1993.
Fawcett had movie roles in 'Logan's Run,' 'The Apostle' and 'Extremities.' Her omission from the Oscar memorial list has sparked outrage on the Internet and from her family, who said in a statement that they were "deeply saddened."
When asked why Michael Jackson was included when actors were left out, Davis explained that Jackson had appeared in a popular theatrical film recently ('This is It'). Fawcett and Jackson both died on June 25.
"Think of all the blogging we would have gotten if we had left him out!" he said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Juan Pablo Galavis Shares, Dedicates Highlights Video to Nikki Ferrell: "Adventures in Loving You"
- Mary-Kate Olsen, Olivier Sarkozy Make Joint First Post-Engagement Appearance: See the Picture
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Defend Her Skinny Bikini Photo: "I Am My Mother's Child!"
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Your move Netflix: Four Amazon pilots get picked up
- Iggy Pop, New Order, Patti Smith, the National and more jam at Carnegie Hall for Tibet benefit
- Christina Bianco wows with singer impressions, performs 'Wind Beneath My Wings'