Something Ain't Right About Lindsay Lohan's Lawsuit
By Mike Hess Posted Mar 9th 2010 05:47PM
Pop-Ed: As the day wears on and the ridiculousness of Lindsay Lohan's $100 million lawsuit against E*Trade settles in, a thought popped into my head that I felt needed to be shared: On behalf of PopEater, I'm officially declaring shenanigans on this story, and going out on a limb by saying that E*Trade is in on this "lawsuit" by Miss Lohan, and likely even paid her to "sue" them. Why would they do such a thing, you ask? The explanation after the jump.
The first reason this whole thing stinks like a publicity stunt is the lawsuit itself. Lindsay is suing the company because a baby in their ad is named Lindsay... and claims to be a "milkaholic." Her lawyer contended (wink wink) that Lohan is on a first-name recognition basis, a la Oprah or Madonna. This will never stand up in court, so the lawsuit itself is shady right off the bat.
Secondly, it's for $100 million. Say that with me, people: One hundred MILLION dollars. E*Trade didn't run photos of Lindsay smoking crack naked while punching a puppy. They said her name in a fleeting reference that may or may not have had anything to do with her. You don't file $100 million lawsuits for that.
Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly in our little conspiracy theory, is this: Thanks to said lawsuit and the news coverage surrounding it, hundreds of thousands of people have watched the commercial in question. Most blogs and news sites (PopEater included) ran the commercial in the initial lawsuit coverage. What better way to drum up publicity than to attach your name to a bogus lawsuit that will never happen, while still getting millions of eyes on your commercial ... without having to spend a penny?
So, E*Trade, we're on to you... and we've got to say, this one's quite clever. Still, we're not embedding the commercial in this post, because then you would win.
Lindsay Lohan Snapshots
©BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM ***NO CANADA RIGHTS*** Lindsay Lohan spends the day changing outfits and checking out Paris NON-EXCLUSIVE March 08, 2010 Job: 66474EP Paris, France www.bauergriffin.com www.bauergriffinonline.com
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gisele: She's not just like you
- "12 Years a Slave," "Osage County" top SAG nominations
- 'Duck Dynasty' fam spreads holiday cheer in Afghanistan
- ?Nashville' midseason finale cliffhanger: Who died?
- ?Arrow' react: Ghosts of the past, a villain of the future
- ?The Tomorrow People' react: Tying up loose ends
- YouTube Rewind! The Top Videos of 2013
- Extra Scoop: Justin Bieber to Replace Paul Walker in ?Fast & Furious 7'?! Say It Isn't So!
- Emmy Rossum Pokes Fun at Gisele B
- Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs Separate After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' Ex, Expecting Baby Number Six with Wife Victoria Prince
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Post-Baby Bikini Body, Drew Barrymore Reveals She's Having Another Baby Girl: Top 5 Wednesday Stories