Robert Halderman Pleads Guilty in Letterman Plot
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 9th 2010 12:56PM
Robert Halderman, 52, entered his plea in Manhattan Supreme Court this afternoon. Earlier in the day, TMZ confirmed with Halderman's lawyer that he would indeed cop to the charges.
Halderman, who originally pleaded not guilty, faced upwards of 15 years in prison if convicted.
The bizarre story began in October when 'The Late Show' host stunned viewers by abruptly revealing the existence of an extortion case against him and acknowledging that he'd had affairs with women on his staff.
As the saga unfolded, details began to emerge.
Halderman reportedly demanded $2 million as hush money, threatening to reveal information he'd gleaned from reading in his then-girlfriend's diary about her trysts with Letterman, her boss. Halderman's threat was couched as an outline of a thinly-veiled screenplay about the comic's life unraveling with the disclosure of his dalliances, prosecutors say.
His lawyer, Gerald Shargel, claimed Halderman was simply offering to sell his "very marketable story" to Letterman -- and to keep it confidential as part of the deal.
"This was not a sale of anything legitimate, this was classic extortion," Letterman lawyer Daniel J. Horwitz replied in a statement.
Halderman was a producer for CBS' '48 Hours.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amber Portwood's Father, Shawn Portwood, Sr., Dead at 50 After Liver Surgery
- Taylor Swift Screams, Pulls Her Hair on Hollywood Reporter Cover, Says Spotify Decision Caused Other Artists to Thank Her
- Victoria Beckham Actually Loves Going Without Makeup, Easy Hair -- How Very Un-Posh!
- Terrible celebrity hair
- Eric Church's Grammy-nominated album 'The Outsiders' goes Platinum
- Report: Selena Gomez still pining over Justin Bieber