Elinor Burkett Explains Her Oscar 'Kanye' Moment
By Megan Rumph Posted Mar 10th 2010 11:58AM
"I had two choices right? Either I could let him blather on for 45 seconds... Or I could interrupt so I get to talk," she said. "Everybody thinks I was bad for interrupting him, they don't think he was bad for, like, bigfooting me to prevent me from speaking at all."
She also suggested another way of looking at it. "Maybe I'm just like a middle-aged crazy person," she joked. Watch the interview after the jump!
Burkett may have "pulled a Kanye," but she stresses one important difference: Kanye didn't win the award, and she did. Although 'Music by Prudence' director Williams has said that Burkett didn't have anything to do with the movie, she disagrees.
"I have nothing to do with the movie? You see my name on this Oscar?" she said. "I don't think that the Academy would have given me the Oscar if I had nothing to do with the movie." Burkett was the producer of the documentary.
She also explains that she interrupted Williams in order to give recognition to the subjects of the winning documentary. "If I don't get to that stage within three seconds, he's not going to thank the band, he's only going to talk about himself," she said when Behar asked what was going through her mind.
"This is not 'Avatar,'" Burkett continued, explaining that the category was not as high-profile as others. "This is a documentary film. So the speech needs to be about the subjects of the film. The speech needs to be about the band."
She even calls foul on William's statement that his mother wasn't blocking Burkett from getting into the aisle, but merely standing to hug him. "He didn't even turn to his mother!" she said. "He didn't hug her. By the time his mother started to get up, he was halfway to the stage into his acceptance speech."
Although Burkett has gotten a lot of flack from the media for her "Kanye" moment, she told Behar about a few cheering fans she met at the airport. She said one woman asked her, "You're the one who wouldn't let that rude boy speak, right?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Nicki Minaj Suffers Yet Another TV Nip Slip During Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen
- The Interview's Theatrical Release Pulled: Celebrities Like Judd Apatow, Jimmy Kimmel, Rob Lowe Are Appalled -- Read Their Shocked Tweets
- Amber Portwood's Father, Shawn Portwood, Sr., Dead at 50 After Liver Surgery
- Does Hollywood try to have it both ways regarding torture?
- Expert: '90 percent' sure North Korea behind cyberattack on Sony
- Terrible celebrity hair
- Why Eddie Redmayne Had to "Take Some Time Off" After Playing Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything
- Survivor: San Juan del Sur: Who Won Season 29? Plus, Find Out What's In Store for Season 30!
- About American Horror Story's Devastating and Shocking Pepper Episode...