Elinor Burkett Explains Her Oscar 'Kanye' Moment
By Megan Rumph Posted Mar 10th 2010 11:58AM
"I had two choices right? Either I could let him blather on for 45 seconds... Or I could interrupt so I get to talk," she said. "Everybody thinks I was bad for interrupting him, they don't think he was bad for, like, bigfooting me to prevent me from speaking at all."
She also suggested another way of looking at it. "Maybe I'm just like a middle-aged crazy person," she joked. Watch the interview after the jump!
Burkett may have "pulled a Kanye," but she stresses one important difference: Kanye didn't win the award, and she did. Although 'Music by Prudence' director Williams has said that Burkett didn't have anything to do with the movie, she disagrees.
"I have nothing to do with the movie? You see my name on this Oscar?" she said. "I don't think that the Academy would have given me the Oscar if I had nothing to do with the movie." Burkett was the producer of the documentary.
She also explains that she interrupted Williams in order to give recognition to the subjects of the winning documentary. "If I don't get to that stage within three seconds, he's not going to thank the band, he's only going to talk about himself," she said when Behar asked what was going through her mind.
"This is not 'Avatar,'" Burkett continued, explaining that the category was not as high-profile as others. "This is a documentary film. So the speech needs to be about the subjects of the film. The speech needs to be about the band."
She even calls foul on William's statement that his mother wasn't blocking Burkett from getting into the aisle, but merely standing to hug him. "He didn't even turn to his mother!" she said. "He didn't hug her. By the time his mother started to get up, he was halfway to the stage into his acceptance speech."
Although Burkett has gotten a lot of flack from the media for her "Kanye" moment, she told Behar about a few cheering fans she met at the airport. She said one woman asked her, "You're the one who wouldn't let that rude boy speak, right?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Avril Lavigne Responds to "Racist" Music Video Controversy: "I Love Japanese Culture"
- Mila Kunis Conceals Baby Bump After Pregnant Pilates Class!
- Kate Middleton, Prince William "Reluctantly" End Royal Tour With Visit to Parliament House, Governor's Reception
- Joan Rivers Won't Apologize For Jokes About Cleveland Kidnapping Survivors
- George Clooney Storms Out Of Dinner After Heated Political Chat With ?A**Hole' Casino Head Steve Wynn
- Traci Bingham tried to dine and dash after credit card declined, report says
- Meg Ryan joins the cast of 'How I Met Your Dad'
- Wardrobe whoopsies: On purpose, or an accident?
- Game of Thrones' New King Speaks! Plus, TVD's Damon and Elena Are So Not Over and a Grey's Secret We Can't Believe
- Goodbye Emily Thorne?! Revenge's Leading Lady Takes on a New Identity—Watch Now!
- Ginnifer Goodwin Breaks Her Silence on Pregnancy and Wedding to Josh Dallas—Watch Now!