Elinor Burkett Explains Her Oscar 'Kanye' Moment
By Megan Rumph Posted Mar 10th 2010 11:58AM
"I had two choices right? Either I could let him blather on for 45 seconds... Or I could interrupt so I get to talk," she said. "Everybody thinks I was bad for interrupting him, they don't think he was bad for, like, bigfooting me to prevent me from speaking at all."
She also suggested another way of looking at it. "Maybe I'm just like a middle-aged crazy person," she joked. Watch the interview after the jump!
Burkett may have "pulled a Kanye," but she stresses one important difference: Kanye didn't win the award, and she did. Although 'Music by Prudence' director Williams has said that Burkett didn't have anything to do with the movie, she disagrees.
"I have nothing to do with the movie? You see my name on this Oscar?" she said. "I don't think that the Academy would have given me the Oscar if I had nothing to do with the movie." Burkett was the producer of the documentary.
She also explains that she interrupted Williams in order to give recognition to the subjects of the winning documentary. "If I don't get to that stage within three seconds, he's not going to thank the band, he's only going to talk about himself," she said when Behar asked what was going through her mind.
"This is not 'Avatar,'" Burkett continued, explaining that the category was not as high-profile as others. "This is a documentary film. So the speech needs to be about the subjects of the film. The speech needs to be about the band."
She even calls foul on William's statement that his mother wasn't blocking Burkett from getting into the aisle, but merely standing to hug him. "He didn't even turn to his mother!" she said. "He didn't hug her. By the time his mother started to get up, he was halfway to the stage into his acceptance speech."
Although Burkett has gotten a lot of flack from the media for her "Kanye" moment, she told Behar about a few cheering fans she met at the airport. She said one woman asked her, "You're the one who wouldn't let that rude boy speak, right?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lindsay Lohan Celebrates Completing 125 Hours of Community Service Ahead of Deadline: "Hard Work Pays Off -- Amen!"
- Brandy: What's In My Bag
- Bachelorette Contestant Clint Confesses He's in Love With Fellow Contestant JJ, Reveals They've "Grown Close in the Shower" ? Watch
- Tracy Morgan settles suit with Wal-Mart over fatal crash
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans is wanted in Fla.
- Radio host in trouble for killing rabbit on air
- The Biggest Loser Winner Ali Vincent Marries Girlfriend Jennifer Krusing, Shows Off 112-Pound Weight Loss
- A$AP Rocky Explains Why He Dissed Rita Ora in ''Better Things''—Watch Now!
- Martina McBride Stands Up for Female Artists After Radio Consultant Claims Country Fans Prefer Songs by Men