Vote: Does Gabourey Sidibe Have a Hollywood Future?
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 10th 2010 11:15AM
But are there other parts out there for Sidibe, besides those of overweight, pregnant teens?
Yes, she's proved herself funny on the red carpet (Telling Ryan Seacrest her Oscar dress was "The money shot" was amazing!) and charming during her appearances on talk shows. She also has the power of Oprah behind her. But does it really matter when it comes to film and television?
Despite her obvious talent, experts are mixed about whether scripts will roll in for the 26-year-old.
PopEater's own Rob Shuter chatted with Joy Behar about the actress' career, telling Joy that casting directors don't see much down the road for Sidibe. Watch:
As Behar points out, Nikki Blonsky received high praise for her turn in 'Hairspray,' but the full-figured girl hasn't had work since.
Kevin Polowy, Senior Editor of Moviefone, agrees with Shuter and Behar.
"It'll be a challenge for Sidibe to sustain a prominent career, undoubtedly. Sadly, it's already tough enough for women and minorities to find good roles in Hollywood, and she faces another undeniable hurdle because of her weight. But she's such a genuine talent, such a glowing screen presence, the screenwriters and filmmakers of the world would be fools not to craft her some meaty roles --or at least one solid TV gig for the time being."
Others believe her new credentials will provide opportunities for the actress. "Gabby has those two golden words in front of her name now: Oscar Nominee. That opens doors," says Fancast's Senior Editor Tracy Phillips. "The challenge will be for her to make good choices. But she's already doing that. She has her next job already lined up, appearing on Showtime's new dark comedy, 'The C Word,' starring another Oscar nominee, Laura Linney. That's a smart move."
"She has talent, a sophisticated new project on deck--and she has Oprah in her corner," Phillips adds. "What more do you need?"
Although Shuter, Behar, Polowy and Phillips are gracious about Sidibe's chances, bleak as they may be, there are a few who are more frank, and downright mean, about her available opportunities, like Howard Stern.
Stern doesn't think Gabby's career has a chance to survive, The Huffington Post reports.
"There's the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen. She is enormous. Everyone's pretending she's a part of show business and she's never going to be in another movie," he said on his show.
"She should have gotten the Best Actress award because she's never going to have another shot. What movie is she gonna be in?" Stern added.
He then turned to Oprah, who's been praising the young actress up and down, and touting her as the next Meryl Streep.
"Oprah's another liar, a filthy liar. She's telling an enormous woman the size of a planet that she's going to have a career."
However, Stern is a little bit wrong. Sidibe has two more gigs on her resume. She's been picked up for a 13-episode stint on Showtime's 'The Big C,' and has one film -- 'Yelling to the Sky' -- in post-production, according to IMDB.com.
Yet, whether or not her career will be littered with sidekick roles -- or even any at all -- remains to be seen.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Cannes: Hollywood Gives Back at Star-Filled AmfAR Gala (Column)
- Jennifer Hudson in Negotiations to Judge 'American Idol'
- Right Now: Elegant Men's Watches
- ?Arrested Development': Five episodes to watch to get ready for Sunday
- ?Fast & Furious': 10 take-aways after an all-day franchise marathon
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report