Life in Plastic Is Fantastic for 'Mad Men' Barbie Dolls
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 10th 2010 07:30AM
NY Times reports. The dolls are scheduled to be released in July to promote the fourth season of 'Mad Men,' which will begin that month on AMC.
There will be 7,000 to 10,000 copies of each doll, to be sold in specialty stores and on two Web sites, amctv.com and barbiecollector.com. The dolls are part of a premium-price collectors' series for adults in the Barbie Fashion Model Collection, with a suggested retail price of $74.95 each. Mattel is licensing rights to the characters from Lionsgate, the studio that produces 'Mad Men' for the AMC.
While the dolls will come with period accessories such as hats, overcoats, pearls and padded undergarments, no cigarettes, ashtrays, martini glasses or cocktail shakers will be provided.
"The dolls, we feel, do a great job of embodying the series," said Stephanie Cota, senior vice president for Barbie marketing at Mattel. "Certain things are appropriate, and certain things aren't."
The creation was "do things in a way that is appropriate for 'Mad Men,' high quality and sophisticated," said Charlie Collier, president and general manager at AMC in New York.
'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner admits the dolls are "a realization of a fantasy, in a weird way" because "on some level it's such a measure of success to see your characters embodied by Barbie."
"Anybody who likes the show for its attention to detail will get that from the dolls," Weiner added.
Jon Hamm Photos
Actor Jon Hamm (L) and actress Jennifer Westfeldt arrive at the 2010 Vanity Fair Oscar Party held at Sunset Tower on March 7, 2010 in West Hollywood, California. 2010 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Sunset Tower West Hollywood, CA United States March 7, 2010 Photo by Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic.com To license this image (17185538), contact FilmMagic.com
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Shia LaBeouf Wears Blue Balls Costume for Halloween: Hilarious Picture
- Taylor Swift Dresses Up as a Pegacorn (A.K.A. a Unicorn With Wings) for Halloween 2014, Making Her Fairy Tale a Reality
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North West in Skunk Costume for Halloween 2014: Photos
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- 'Duck Dynasty's' Jep Robertson speaks out on mysterious illness
- Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan Spoof Taylor Swift's ''Shake It Off" Music Video—and It Might Be Better Than the Original!
- Disney Princess Hair: Recreate Snow White's Bob, Cinderella's Updo & More—Watch Now!
- J.K. Rowling Releases New Harry Potter Short Story Just in Time for Halloween!