Life in Plastic Is Fantastic for 'Mad Men' Barbie Dolls
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 10th 2010 07:30AM
NY Times reports. The dolls are scheduled to be released in July to promote the fourth season of 'Mad Men,' which will begin that month on AMC.
There will be 7,000 to 10,000 copies of each doll, to be sold in specialty stores and on two Web sites, amctv.com and barbiecollector.com. The dolls are part of a premium-price collectors' series for adults in the Barbie Fashion Model Collection, with a suggested retail price of $74.95 each. Mattel is licensing rights to the characters from Lionsgate, the studio that produces 'Mad Men' for the AMC.
While the dolls will come with period accessories such as hats, overcoats, pearls and padded undergarments, no cigarettes, ashtrays, martini glasses or cocktail shakers will be provided.
"The dolls, we feel, do a great job of embodying the series," said Stephanie Cota, senior vice president for Barbie marketing at Mattel. "Certain things are appropriate, and certain things aren't."
The creation was "do things in a way that is appropriate for 'Mad Men,' high quality and sophisticated," said Charlie Collier, president and general manager at AMC in New York.
'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner admits the dolls are "a realization of a fantasy, in a weird way" because "on some level it's such a measure of success to see your characters embodied by Barbie."
"Anybody who likes the show for its attention to detail will get that from the dolls," Weiner added.
Jon Hamm Photos
Actor Jon Hamm (L) and actress Jennifer Westfeldt arrive at the 2010 Vanity Fair Oscar Party held at Sunset Tower on March 7, 2010 in West Hollywood, California. 2010 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Sunset Tower West Hollywood, CA United States March 7, 2010 Photo by Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic.com To license this image (17185538), contact FilmMagic.com
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bruce Jenner Set to Appear As Woman on Vanity Fair Cover: Details
- Bruce Jenner, Kylie Jenner Bond on Keeping Up With the Kardashians Midseason Finale: Watch a Clip!
- Ethan Embry: Kissing Jennifer Love Hewitt in Can't Hardly Wait Was "Uncomfortable," She Gave Me a "Big Basket of Breath Mints!"
- Pete Townshend opens up about past alcohol abuse
- Bruce Jenner will be on the cover of July's Vanity Fair magazine
- Judge delays case after 'Suge' Knight hires Jackson lawyer
- Put Down That Thong, Girl: Granny Panties Are (Apparently) Coming Back in Style
- Chris Pratt Hilariously Shows Off the British Accent He Picked Up From England's Version of Jersey Shore: Watch Now!
- Trista Sutter Reminds Us That the Bachelor Franchise Does Result in Lasting Love...Sometimes!