It's Official: Betty White Hosting 'SNL' on May 8
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 11th 2010 07:00AM
The 'Golden Girls' actress will host the show on May 8, WNBC News announced Thursday morning (via PEOPLE). The special Mother's Day episode will also reunite six former female 'SNL' cast members: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch.
The show's creator-producer, Lorne Michaels, admits the Facebook campaign "took on a groundswell."
"[White as the host] isn't something we would have said no to, [but the campaign] validated that, 'Oh, that'd be fun' ... It was the outpouring of affection from fans, and we feel the same way," Michaels added.
The Emmy-winning actress broke the news earlier this week at the 18th Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Award Viewing Party, but has remained tight-lipped on the full details of her appearance.
While she's hosting the Mother's Day special, White has not children of her own. Michaels has an answer for any critics, explaining "She's the mother of us all in comedy."
The 88-year-old earned big laughs while accepting her SAG Lifetime Achievement award in January. She followed that with a surprise appearance in a Super Bowl commercial for Snickers. Fans quickly took notice and launched the now-famous campaign.
Watch the Girls on Pop chat about the Betty White phenomenon.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Power Rangers Samurai Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Arrested For Stabbing Roommate to Death With Sword: Report
- Bobby Brown Releases Statement on Bobbi Kristina's Condition: "Please Allow My Family to Give My Daughter the Love and Support She Needs"
- Chris O'Dowd, Wife Dawn O'Porter Welcome First Child, a Baby Boy Named Art O'Porter
- Steve Kroft's sexually explicit texts to mistress
- 'American Sniper' sets new Super Bowl weekend record
- Roseanne thinks Bill Cosby is guilty but still 'not the end' of his career
- Jurassic World Super Bowl Spot Has More Dinosaurs, More Mayhem and Chris Pratt Training Raptors!
- Idina Menzel Belts Out the National Anthem, Makes Fans Instantly Forget About That New Year's Eve Performance
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out Looking Fit and Healthy During Rare Public Shopping Trip—Take a Look!