Miss J. Has Critical Words for Celeb Fashion Designers
By Nicki Gostin Posted Mar 15th 2010 10:49AM
What do you think of celebrity designers?
I know some of these people. I've worked with them. My biggest problem is if you're going to hire a celebrity to design a line and if they don't know what they are doing, then they need to hire the right person to sketch and oversee the line. It's an insult to the fashion industry for people who have studied this craft, researched it, traveled the world looking for inspiration compared to someone who just pulls something out of their closet and changes the color.
What is the message of your book?
Basically, you can do anything you want without having to be beautiful. Whether you're black, white, blue, green or purple, too fat, too skinny. Love yourself on the inside and you can do almost anything on the outside. Be strong and don't allow people to beat you down. Don't allow people to put you in a box.
I also give style tips like how to wear high heels. I say put them on your feet and walk your dog around the block, do the laundry, so your feet become comfortable with that foreign object.
What's your advice for big girls?
You can choose another career outside of being thin. There are a lot of things to do instead of being a ten-foot glamazon who eats a lettuce leaf and chicken breast and says, 'I'm full.' People look at these girls as incredible role models because of their beauty not because of what they can deliver from the inside.
So your number one tip is to be confident.
Confidence in yourself. People are going to say you can't do things. You own your own.
The new season of 'Top Model' just started.
Andre Leon Talley from Vogue is on the panel. I've moved back down to mentoring the girls. We've had girls that have had eating problems, and we've addressed that. We've told girls to gain weight, those that should be their plump, juicy selves instead of losing weight.
You have a son.
My ex-boyfriend and I were sperm donors for a lesbian friend in Paris. He's 8 years old now. I see him on the weekends. Right now, he's become a Mozart fanatic.
What about your own fashion line?
I may do something. It's what I wanted to do growing up. I think I'd design for teenage girls. Pieces that look high couture and not like old ladies or prostutarts.
Hit or Miss Fashion?
Lady Gaga arrives in New Zealand along with her boots, which have their own head of hair.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kristin Chenoweth Dyes Hair Brunette, Adds Extensions: See the Dramatic Makeover
- Piers Morgan Leaves CNN "to Try Pastures New," Announces Exit on Twitter
- Angelina Jolie Walked Down the Aisle to Brad Pitt Humming "Here Comes the Bride," Kids Picked Their Duties, Plus More Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West's Daughter North Steals The Show AT LAX, Clutching Purse Valued At $1,450
- 4 Latest Developments In Hollywood Hacking Scandal: Admitted Source On The Run As FBI Investigates J.Law Leak & Others; Georgia Man Singled Out Publicly Denies Involvement
- First photos from Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's wedding
- CeeLo Green shocks with controversial rape tweet following drug charge
- Jimi Jamison: Lead singer of Survivor dead at 63
- Best Housewife Ever Is Down to the Final 4: Vote for Your Favorite Bravo Lady Now!
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Get Bloody for Maroon 5's "Animals" Video as Band Reveals Tour Dates
- CeeLo Green Deletes Twitter After Reportedly Posting Controversial Rape Comments