Chelsea Handler: 'My Dad Threatened to Sue Me'
By Nicki Gostin Posted Mar 16th 2010 09:19AM
Chelsea Handler doesn't pull punches. Whether it's her bowling ball-headed father, her recently-ended relationship or the Kardashians and their classiness (or lack thereof), the cheeky host of E!'s 'Chelsea Lately' keeps it fast and fresh. On the occasion of her new book, an essay collection titled 'Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang,' the 35-year-old comedian chatted with PopEater about discovering a risque joy at a young age, being a woman in comedy and why her father threatened to sue her.
Are you going to be upset if this book doesn't reach number one like your last one?
Yeah, I'll probably be disappointed. I've got some serious competition out there now. Karl Rove.
The first essay in the book is about discovering masturbation as a kid. Ever been embarrassed by what you wrote?
No, I talk about masturbation in my stand up routine. I'm not embarrassed by anything I say. It's all pretty ridiculous.
Is your family embarrassed?
Yes, they are completely embarrassed. My dad threatened to sue me. I was on 'The Today Show,' and I said he's dating his 20-year-old Jamaican cleaning lady and he said, 'Please don't say that. I don't want people to think I'm off the market.' And I'm like, nobody wants you on the market, because you're so gross and you look like a bowling ball. Then he said that he could sue me and I said, 'No, because you'd have to borrow the money off me to sue me, so no.'
It seems like weird things happen to you. Why is that?
I attract nonsense in my life. You should see the group of people I'm sitting in a car with now. I think I'm just a little bit off, so I like to have people around me who are just a little bit off-er, so I look a little more normal.
You torture your boyfriend a lot.
I don't anymore. I tortured him so much we broke up.
Aww, I'm sorry.
It's okay. He's going to get over it one day. That's mean to say. I'm going to get bad karma in my next relationship. I shouldn't say that, but it's true.
Are you looking for a new boyfriend?
I am looking. Will you put it on AOL that I'm looking for someone of Polynesian or maybe Asian descent? I want to do something I haven't done before.
You're a pretty girl. Do you think that hurt or helped your comedy career?
Thank you for the compliment. I think it probably helped me. There are lots of attractive female comics around now.
Favorite guest on the show?
I love Jenny McCarthy. Women who are not scared to talk and say funny things. I love outspoken women.
You're executive producing a show for E!
A couple of them. One of them is called 'Pretty Wild,' and it's a pretty embarrassing show. It makes the Kardashians look pretty classy.
Chelsea Handler Snapshots
Chelsea Handler's latest book is 'Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang.' Check out pics of the talk-show host out and about >>
Grand Central Publishing
MORE ABOUT Chelsea Handler
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Chelsea Handler Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Nude Celebrities Photo Scandal: Emma Watson, Lena Dunham, and More Stars Slam Hackers
- CeeLo Green Voices Controversial Rape Opinion, Deletes Tweets
- Kristin Chenoweth Dyes Hair Brunette, Adds Extensions: See the Dramatic Makeover
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West's Daughter North Steals The Show AT LAX, Clutching Purse Valued At $1,450
- 4 Latest Developments In Hollywood Hacking Scandal: Admitted Source On The Run As FBI Investigates J.Law Leak & Others; Georgia Man Singled Out Publicly Denies Involvement
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police
- Chris Brown pleads guilty to assault in Washington
- First photos from Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's wedding
- Best Housewife Ever Is Down to the Final 4: Vote for Your Favorite Bravo Lady Now!
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Get Bloody for Maroon 5's "Animals" Video as Band Reveals Tour Dates
- CeeLo Green Deletes Twitter After Reportedly Posting Controversial Rape Comments