Corey Haim Funeral 'Sad But With a Lot of Laughter'
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 16th 2010 02:55PM
'Lost Boys' actor Corey Haim was laid to rest in his native Toronto on Tuesday in a ceremony attended by more than 200 mourners. Friends and family (his father, Bernie, is shown above) gathered at the Steeles Memorial Chapel a week after the former teen heartthrob died at age 38.
Scores of fans watched quietly as attendees entered the chapel for the late-morning service. Among them, Jennifer Matton told the Toronto Star that she drove eight hours from Philadelphia to honor the star. "I think I'm his number one fan," she said.
Remembering Corey Haim
Mourners carry the coffin during the private funeral service for actor Corey Haim at Steeles Memorial Chapel on March 16 in Thornhill, Ontario.
Getty Images North America
Feldman's second cousin, however, was on hand. Maytal Kotler described the traditional Jewish service as "very sad but with a lot of laughter."
The funeral lasted 45 minutes and was followed by a long funeral cortege and police escorts.
There are conflicting reports on who paid for the service. Haim's mother, Judy Haim, earlier claimed the city of Toronto offered to cover the costs, but government officials say no such request for help was made. Meanwhile, celebrity auction site Startifacts claimed over the weekend to have donated $20,000 to the family.
Haim, the former teen idol who rose to fame in 1980s classics 'License to Drive' and 'Lucas,' died March 10 in Burbank, Calif. He was 38. Haim collapsed in the Oakwood apartment belonging to his mother, who was at home at the time and called 911.
Judy Haim said she was told by the L.A. County Coroner's Office that an autopsy found her son had an enlarged heart. His cause of death, she said, was due to pulmonary congestion. The final cause of death has been deferred pending toxicology and histopathology testing. The final report is expected in six to eight weeks.
The Coroner's Office said that prescription bottles containing four different medications were taken from his room, but would not confirm if the medications were found in his body.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- 'Star Trek's' Uhura Stopped at LAX After Companion Found With Meth
- Video Released of Moments Before Sarah Jones' Death on 'Midnight Rider' Set
- Ted Beniades, an Undercover Cop in 'Scarface,' Dies at 91
- 'Grimm' Star Bitsie Tulloch Thinks These 5 Supernatural TV Dramas Are Totally Worth Watching
- 'Nightcrawler' Review: One of the Best Movies of the Year
- The 31 Best Action Movies on Netflix Right Now