Bikini Attack: Is This Kate Winslet's Single Strategy?
By Jo Piazza Posted Mar 17th 2010 06:45AM
As the details of her marital split are laid bare, so too is Kate Winslet's belly on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The actress, who announced her split from director Sam Mendes ('American Beauty') this week, was snapped looking toned and fit in a black two-piece with her two children, Joe and Mia.
We're used to seeing actresses in the skimpy swimwear, and Kate is no prude (she's had some pretty sultry scenes in 'Titanic,' 'The Reader' and 'Little Children'), but she isn't the kind of chick we usually catch sight of frolicking on the beach. This leads us to wonder: Was this a well-timed publicity stunt to introduce America to sexy, single Kate (who we are loving so much more than a certain other suddenly-single Kate)?
'Cult of Celebrity' author Cooper Lawrence says there is something in between showing off and good post-split publicity. Our beloved Kate isn't Lindsay Lohan, after all. Lawrence thinks Kate's bikini shots are meant to signal to her fans that she is doing just fine.
"I think she knows how beloved she is, and if she is reclusive, people will think she was devastated by the split or that he caused it, making her the victim, but pictures of her like this, not only looking happy but looking incredibly hot, let everyone know she is more than OK," Lawrence says. "This is the new way our favorite stars communicate with us, the seemingly haphazard photo-op which we all know is anything but."
But even knowing what we know about star/pap collusion, we still think Kate's too classy for this to have been a setup. US Weekly photo editor Peter Grossman agrees, but does think these shots are the result of a couple of different factors colliding.
"I don't think it's a setup because it is just so unbelievably unlike her, and I can tell from the angle and the location of the pictures that it was a very difficult shot to get," Grossman says. "But we do know that celebrities announce things, like divorces, when they are planning to go away. They don't want to be where they are going to be hounded, so I think the announcement coincided with Kate's vacation. Would the paparazzi followed Kate if she hadn't just announced the separation? Probably not."
What we do know from these pics is that while you can run, you certainly can't hide from the paps.
"If you're that famous and you go on a trip. They are going to know where you are," Grossman says.
Kate Winslet Photos
©BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM Kate Winslet says good bye to a friend in the West Village. Then she talks on her phone while walking to her pick her kids up from school. EXCLUSIVE March 11, 2010 Job: 100311NZ2 New York, New York www.bauergriffin.com www.bauergriffinonline.com
David Krieger / bauergriffinonline.com
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie' adds Mark Feuerstein for final season
- Ecuador's PR firm reportedly spent more than $500G on celebrity endorsements
- U2 haters prompt Apple to release tool to remove free album
- Krispy Kreme to Offer 'Ghostbusters' Donuts for Film's 30th Anniversary
- Samuel Goldwyn Writing Awards Announces Finalists
- 'Arrow' Recruits 'Spartacus' Alum in Villainous Season 3 Arc
- This ?Scandal' clothing line lets you dress just like Olivia Pope
- ?Orange Is the New Black' meets ?Golden Girls' in new mash-up video
- Bruce Springsteen headlines Stand Up For Heroes event
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks