Kirstie Alley: Weight Loss Program Not Connected to Scientology
By Sam Brand Posted Mar 17th 2010 03:40PM
Scientology. Kirstie Alley. Weight loss. A triumvirate of more exciting phrases is rarely uttered. Tuesday night, the former 'Cheers' star sat down with David Letterman to speak out on her famous struggle on the scales and to promote her upcoming reality show 'Kirstie Alley's Big Life.' "I think other people are stuggling with my weight more than I am," she told the host. But it was what the actress said Tuesday morning on 'The Today Show' that should get the headlines.
"It's such bulls... It's not true," Alley said when confronted with the rumor that her weight loss program, Organic Liaison, is connected to the Church of Scientology. "I'm the top executive. The address in Clearwater is my accountant, and he's a Scientology Jew."
Alley, 59, has been a member of the controversial church since Narconon, a Scientology-affiliated drug treatment program, helped her kick a cocaine addiction several years ago. In 2007, Alley donated $5 million to the Church of Scientology.
It had been reported that Alley's weight loss company runs out of a Scientology building in Florida and includes several high ranking Scientologists on its board.
When asked by 'Today's' Meredith Vieira if any of Organic Liaison's proceeds fund Scientology, Alley remarked, "No, they don't. I'm way too cheap to do that."
On 'The Late Show with David Letterman,' the focus was more on dieting in general than Organic Liaisons' program, which custom tailors an organic lifestyle for its members at the cost of almost $2,000 a year.
"What I'm working on now is getting all the chemicals out of my life, out of all the foods... the pesticides, the insecticides, the herbicides, fungicides, all the antibiotics, all the hormones that are in food," Alley said.
But Alley couldn't go all-in on dieting until filming on 'Kirstie Alley's Big Life' began shooting earlier this year. "I am losing weight now," she said. "I've lost about 24 pounds and I'm on my way on the downhill."
"I'm embarrassed now and if I need to apologize, I'd like to apologize," Letterman said, confessing that he had cracked weight jokes at Alley's expense in the past.
"No, you don't need to," Alley shot back. "We make fun of you at my house, too."
'Kirstie Alley's Big Life' premieres Sunday, March 21 on A&E.
MORE ABOUT Kirstie Alley
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kirstie Alley Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Brad Pitt Does Hilarious Between Two Ferns Interview With Zach Galifianakis; Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Future In Jeopardy Amid Sex Offender Report: Top 5 Stories
- Taylor Swift Says She "Wouldn't Survive in Jail," Is Terrified of Sea Urchins -- Watch
- Ace of Cakes Star Duff Goldman: I Love Riding Motorcycles Even After Losing Toes in Crash
- Ebola In NYC! Doctor Tests Positive For Virus After Treating Patients In Guinea
- Lucky Break! Former ?RHONJ' Star Danielle Staub Gets $700K In Liens Cancelled In Bankruptcy Case
- Mean Girl! Kim Kardashian Snubs Chris Brown’s ‘Lowbrow’ Girlfriend Karrueche Tran
- Pretty stars who go gritty on film
- Trisha Yearwood set to appear on 'Nashville' during faux CMA awards
- Celebrity trout pouts
- ABC Just Ordered More Episodes for 7 Shows—Which Dramas and Comedies Scored Longer Seasons?
- Who's the Boss? Reunion! Tony Danza and Judith Light Come Together at Broadway Opening of Disgraced
- Mama June Apparently Hasn't Dated Mark McDaniel for 10 Years; Son Insists McDaniel Was Wrongly Convicted of Molestation