Kate Winslet's Divorce: Do We Really Need to Know?
By Jo Piazza Posted Mar 18th 2010 01:15PM
Marriage is a precarious thing. For adults in their thirties, the divorce rates in both England and America hover somewhere in the 10% range. That means about one in ten marriages will dissolve each year, making them a fairly common occurrence. But when that divorce happens to someone in the public eye, to a celebrity -- like, say, Kate Winslet, who announced this week that she and her husband director Sam Mendes are ending their nearly seven year marriage -- everyone wants to know all the gory details.
"She's an Oscar winner, he's a huge director, and people are interested in their lives," explains Hollywood Life senior writer Corynne Steindler.
We're used to celebrity splits being open season for mud slinging, and sometimes they legitimately become news. If one of the individuals involved in a divorce starts slinging that mud, the celebrity press should rightfully pursue both sides of the story. But when each party is looking to dissolve a marriage amicably, we don't have any reason to become involved. Divorce attorney Sue Moss believes that it's the very mention of the amicable split that has people skeptical, and from Moss' years of experience aiding with the dissolution of marriage, she has come to believe amicability and divorce don't typically go hand in hand.
"The reason for all the speculation over the Winslet divorce is simple," Moss says. "When couples say it is 'entirely amicable and is by mutual agreement,' it usually isn't. This is sort of like saying, 'It's not you, it's me,' which virtually always means 'It's you."
Maybe it's by virtue of Kate Winslet's reserved public persona or how delightful a person she genuinely seems to be, but I personally don't feel the need to mine for details about the Winslet-Mendes split. Sometimes marriages just end, simple as that. Just because two people are famous doesn't mean that we need to know more.
"If that is the case or even if it isn't, we should leave her be because she's a real actress, not a celebutante or a silly fame chaser," says Cult of Celebrity author and radio host Cooper Lawrence. "She has earned the right for us to give her privacy. We respect her as an actress; we need to respect her as a person."
The UK's Daily Mail reported this week that Winslet's separation was caused by Mendes' close personal relationship with actress Rebecca Hall (you'll remember her as the one who wasn't Scarlett Johansson in 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'). Numerous parties have denied these claims (including Mendes himself), but they continue to reverberate around the blogosphere, all while Winslet seems to be enjoying some much-needed time off, vacationing in Mexico with her kids and brother.
So unless Kate or Sam comes forward and decides they want to wax philosophical about their breakup, it's time to just leave the pair alone to try and move on with their lives. Even an amicable divorce isn't easy, and it can only be made more difficult by being placed under a microscope and dissected by perfect strangers.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Metal rockers Motley Crue find welcome embrace in Nashville for country tribute album
- George Strait announces 'Rides Away' album
- NFL reportedly asking music acts to pay for playing Super Bowl halftime show
- Watch Jimmy Fallon Play 'Goldeneye' With Pierce Brosnan
- Norway Denies Casey Kasem Family Burial Request: 'We Cannot Dig Up the Body'
- Ken Watanabe to Host 2014 Busan Film Festival Opening Ceremony
- Lindsay Lohan posts selfie with Tina Fey during EW's ?Mean Girls' reunion
- The Rock is starring in DC's ?Shazam'? as the villain? An investigation
- Exclusive: The cast of Broadway's ?It's Only a Play' reenacts Ellen's Oscar selfie
- Let's Rank the 'Saved By the Bell' Very Special Episodes (VIDEO)
- Julianne Hough May Return to 'Dancing With the Stars'... as a Judge
- The East Hill Mall's Back-to-School Commercial Goes Viral for All the Wrong Reasons (VIDEO)