'I Spy' Star Robert Culp Dies After Fall at Home
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 24th 2010 05:17PM
According to the Los Angeles Times, Culp hit his head after falling while walking on Wednesday morning and was found by a jogger, who called 911 shortly after 11 AM. Culp was pronounced dead shortly after at Queen of Angels hospital. Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Bob Binder told the LA Times that the actor's death "is accidental and there appears to be no sign of foul play."
From 1965 to 1968, Culp's Robinson character on 'I Spy' took him to the top of Hollywood. It was also a socially important show, as it became the first dramatic TV series to feature an African American actor. That actor... Bill Cosby.
"He's the brightest man I ever knew, and God knows he has the fastest mind of anyone I've ever come across," Culp said of Cosby during an interview with the Archive of American Television in 2007.
He went on to describe the social significance of 'I Spy,' saying, "When it came to race relations... there were stations in the South that wouldn't carry us." He said to Cosby: "'Do you want to do anything about that?'" Culp continued, saying that Cosby told him, "'Our statement is a non-statement. That's what it is, and that's where it lies and that's what's going to make it funny.'"
Culp's response? "Dead-on, partner."
During the 1980s, Culp logged 44 episodes as Bill Maxwell in 'The Greatest American Hero.' In recent years, he acted sporadically, including a role as Warren in 11 episodes of 'Everybody Loves Raymond.' Culp also had a role in 1994's hit movie 'The Pelican Brief.'
Recently Departed Celebrities
Robert Culp, March 24: The actor who took viewers around the world with his 'I Spy' character died at the age of 79 after a fall caused a fatal head injury near his home.
NBC Television / Getty Images
NBC Television / Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Husband's Spreadsheet of Wife's Excuses Not to Have Sex Goes Viral; Cameron Diaz Cuts Radio Interview Short After Host Disses Drew Barrymore: Top 5 Tuesday Stories
- Katherine Webb Shares Bikini Honeymoon Shot, Peek at Wedding to AJ McCarron
- Michael Rapaport Calls Spike Lee a "S--- Stain" During Gentrification Feud
- She's An American Woman In London! Noelle Reno Dishes About Life, Work And Reality Show ?Ladies Of London'
- Madonna’s Underage Teenage Daughter Says She ‘Awkwardly Avoided Teachers’ At Prom After Drinking Champagne
- Reality Showdown! Producers Now Deciding Between Fan-Favorite ?Bachelorette' Alum Arie Luyendyk Jr. And Andi Dorfman Cast-Off Chris Soules In Next Bachelor Casting
- Leonardo DiCaprio spotted partying with 25 models, source says
- Ali Lohan reportedly launching country music career
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Is This Katy Perry Dressed As a "Killer Pizza?" — Watch Now!
- NBA Player Matt Barnes Asks Social Media Followers for Help in Finding His Aunt's Alleged Killer
- Vanessa Lachey Flaunts Baby Bump, Kisses Husband Nick Lachey in First Sighting Together Since Pregnancy Reveal