'I Spy' Star Robert Culp Dies After Fall at Home
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 24th 2010 05:17PM
According to the Los Angeles Times, Culp hit his head after falling while walking on Wednesday morning and was found by a jogger, who called 911 shortly after 11 AM. Culp was pronounced dead shortly after at Queen of Angels hospital. Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Bob Binder told the LA Times that the actor's death "is accidental and there appears to be no sign of foul play."
From 1965 to 1968, Culp's Robinson character on 'I Spy' took him to the top of Hollywood. It was also a socially important show, as it became the first dramatic TV series to feature an African American actor. That actor... Bill Cosby.
"He's the brightest man I ever knew, and God knows he has the fastest mind of anyone I've ever come across," Culp said of Cosby during an interview with the Archive of American Television in 2007.
He went on to describe the social significance of 'I Spy,' saying, "When it came to race relations... there were stations in the South that wouldn't carry us." He said to Cosby: "'Do you want to do anything about that?'" Culp continued, saying that Cosby told him, "'Our statement is a non-statement. That's what it is, and that's where it lies and that's what's going to make it funny.'"
Culp's response? "Dead-on, partner."
During the 1980s, Culp logged 44 episodes as Bill Maxwell in 'The Greatest American Hero.' In recent years, he acted sporadically, including a role as Warren in 11 episodes of 'Everybody Loves Raymond.' Culp also had a role in 1994's hit movie 'The Pelican Brief.'
Recently Departed Celebrities
Robert Culp, March 24: The actor who took viewers around the world with his 'I Spy' character died at the age of 79 after a fall caused a fatal head injury near his home.
NBC Television / Getty Images
NBC Television / Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!