'I Spy' Star Robert Culp Dies After Fall at Home
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 24th 2010 05:17PM
According to the Los Angeles Times, Culp hit his head after falling while walking on Wednesday morning and was found by a jogger, who called 911 shortly after 11 AM. Culp was pronounced dead shortly after at Queen of Angels hospital. Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Bob Binder told the LA Times that the actor's death "is accidental and there appears to be no sign of foul play."
From 1965 to 1968, Culp's Robinson character on 'I Spy' took him to the top of Hollywood. It was also a socially important show, as it became the first dramatic TV series to feature an African American actor. That actor... Bill Cosby.
"He's the brightest man I ever knew, and God knows he has the fastest mind of anyone I've ever come across," Culp said of Cosby during an interview with the Archive of American Television in 2007.
He went on to describe the social significance of 'I Spy,' saying, "When it came to race relations... there were stations in the South that wouldn't carry us." He said to Cosby: "'Do you want to do anything about that?'" Culp continued, saying that Cosby told him, "'Our statement is a non-statement. That's what it is, and that's where it lies and that's what's going to make it funny.'"
Culp's response? "Dead-on, partner."
During the 1980s, Culp logged 44 episodes as Bill Maxwell in 'The Greatest American Hero.' In recent years, he acted sporadically, including a role as Warren in 11 episodes of 'Everybody Loves Raymond.' Culp also had a role in 1994's hit movie 'The Pelican Brief.'
Recently Departed Celebrities
Robert Culp, March 24: The actor who took viewers around the world with his 'I Spy' character died at the age of 79 after a fall caused a fatal head injury near his home.
NBC Television / Getty Images
NBC Television / Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Lopez Drops "Booty" Remix, Sexy Cover Art With Iggy Azalea: Listen!
- Drake, Nicki Minaj Shop at Convenience Store, He Treats Her to Snacks: Watch
- Rachel Bilson Goes Camping With Hayden Christensen for Her 33rd Birthday: New Bump Pictures
- Kourtney Kardashian Asking Booze-Drenched Scott Disick To Enter Rehab After Recent Tumble Off The Wagon
- Chris Martin & Coldplay Going On Tour ? Girlfriend Jennifer Lawrence Joining
- 'Sons of Guns' canceled after star Will Hayden arrested for allegedly repeatedly raping minor
- Farrah Abraham: MTV made a big mistake by firing me from 'Teen Mom' reunion
- Jennifer Aniston: I don't need to have kids
- Is Mila Kunis "Nervous" to Give Birth? Find Out How Ashton Kutcher Is Helping His Pregnant Fiancée
- Central Perk Is Real! You Can Hang Out at Friends' Iconic Coffee Shop in NYC
- I Tried 5 Wacky DIY Hair Treatments (Including Eggs on My Head) in Hopes of Achieving Blake Lively's Beautiful Tresses