Exclusive: Beyonce Impregnated By Gossip Blogger!
By Ben Widdicombe Posted Mar 26th 2010 04:15PM
Yet despite this black-and-white distinction, pregnancy is one of the haziest gray areas in celebrity journalism. This week, Beyonce is the subject of rumors. Let's examine the facts, shall we?
It won't take long, because there are none: not even a paparazzi picture of Beyonce wearing a billowy top on a windy day with a big yellow arrow helpfully provided by some tabloid with the caption "Baby Bump!!" The origin of this week's speculation is this item on MediaTakeOut, which provides no facts other than the promise of having a "ROCK SOLID source."
In the gossip industry, MediaTakeOut has a poor reputation for accuracy. That doesn't mean they can't be right, but as a numbers game, it does mean they probably aren't.
Here's why: If you are a name-brand gossip columnist and you get a big story like this wrong, you have an editor who would gleefully decapitate you and then fire your headless body, ruining your reputation in the process. But a blog, with no-one to answer to, correctly figures the positive publicity a big scoop would generate is worth a hundred quickly-forgotten duds. In other words, you throw a lot of stuff against the wall and just see what sticks.
On the record, Beyonce's camp is not commenting. But off the record, they're placing denials with outlets like GossipCop, who credit "a source close to Beyonce" (translation: her rep who doesn't want to be quoted by name) saying she is "not pregnant."
To be fair to MediaTakeOut, there are three reasons why Beyonce's team might not want to tell the media the truth.
1) It is unwritten law in the celebrity industry that PR will deny a client's pregnancy for the first three months, generally to protect the woman in the event she loses the baby.
2) An exclusive interview with Beyonce announcing her pregnancy to the world would command the cover of a prestigious magazine. If the rep confirms her condition to anyone who asks beforehand, that publicity payoff is ruined.
3) Beyonce genuinely protects her privacy more than most other celebrities. In multiple face-to-face interviews with her over the years, I have found Beyonce to be friendly but Sphinx-like on personal details. On matters like her sister Solange's teenage pregnancy and her own marriage to Jay-Z, she could not have been more charming about telling me absolutely nothing.
So, is Beyonce pregnant? Of course it's a possibility, but the sourcing on the story is so weak as to be basically non-existent, so on balance I'm going to go with "probably not." Unless you want to help us out, Sasha Fierce, and get yourself one of those big yellow arrows that say "Baby Bump?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- NYPD investigating Amanda Bynes' allegations of sexual assault
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- 'Man of Steel' TV Spot Highlights Russell Crowe's Jor-El (Video)
- Google's Eric Schmidt: 'A Sense of Humor' About 'The Internship'
- Amanda Bynes: I Was 'Sexually Harassed' During Arrest
- Sorry, folks, Jimmy Kimmel didn't really buy that $1.9 million nude Bea Arthur painting
- PopWatch Confessional TV Jukebox edition: What songs do you wish you'd heard on TV this year?
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report