Exclusive: Beyonce Impregnated By Gossip Blogger!
By Ben Widdicombe Posted Mar 26th 2010 04:15PM
Yet despite this black-and-white distinction, pregnancy is one of the haziest gray areas in celebrity journalism. This week, Beyonce is the subject of rumors. Let's examine the facts, shall we?
It won't take long, because there are none: not even a paparazzi picture of Beyonce wearing a billowy top on a windy day with a big yellow arrow helpfully provided by some tabloid with the caption "Baby Bump!!" The origin of this week's speculation is this item on MediaTakeOut, which provides no facts other than the promise of having a "ROCK SOLID source."
In the gossip industry, MediaTakeOut has a poor reputation for accuracy. That doesn't mean they can't be right, but as a numbers game, it does mean they probably aren't.
Here's why: If you are a name-brand gossip columnist and you get a big story like this wrong, you have an editor who would gleefully decapitate you and then fire your headless body, ruining your reputation in the process. But a blog, with no-one to answer to, correctly figures the positive publicity a big scoop would generate is worth a hundred quickly-forgotten duds. In other words, you throw a lot of stuff against the wall and just see what sticks.
On the record, Beyonce's camp is not commenting. But off the record, they're placing denials with outlets like GossipCop, who credit "a source close to Beyonce" (translation: her rep who doesn't want to be quoted by name) saying she is "not pregnant."
To be fair to MediaTakeOut, there are three reasons why Beyonce's team might not want to tell the media the truth.
1) It is unwritten law in the celebrity industry that PR will deny a client's pregnancy for the first three months, generally to protect the woman in the event she loses the baby.
2) An exclusive interview with Beyonce announcing her pregnancy to the world would command the cover of a prestigious magazine. If the rep confirms her condition to anyone who asks beforehand, that publicity payoff is ruined.
3) Beyonce genuinely protects her privacy more than most other celebrities. In multiple face-to-face interviews with her over the years, I have found Beyonce to be friendly but Sphinx-like on personal details. On matters like her sister Solange's teenage pregnancy and her own marriage to Jay-Z, she could not have been more charming about telling me absolutely nothing.
So, is Beyonce pregnant? Of course it's a possibility, but the sourcing on the story is so weak as to be basically non-existent, so on balance I'm going to go with "probably not." Unless you want to help us out, Sasha Fierce, and get yourself one of those big yellow arrows that say "Baby Bump?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Derek Jeter Farewell Ad Hits It Out of the Park ? With Help From Frank Sinatra
- CBS Executive Michael Wittman's Wife Reportedly Critically Injured in Traffic Accident
- CAA Raises $500,000 From 'School Day' Events in LA, NYC and Nashville
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Married' Finale, 'Breaking Amish' Premiere, and More Picks
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Is the Best Season Yet, Says Jessica Lange
- Lifetime's Aaliyah Biopic Has a Premiere Date (PHOTO)