A Frail Dennis Hopper Accepts His Hollywood Star
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 26th 2010 02:29PM
Court documents leaked this week reveal the 'Easy Rider' legend is too frail to even continue chemotherapy treatments for his advanced prostate cancer. The filing lists Hopper, 73, as weighing a little more than 100 pounds. In previous court filings, Hopper had expressed hope that chemo would improve his condition enough to work again.
Yet despite his failing condition and dwindling prospects for recovery, Hopper's doctors told CBS affiliate KCA that he was healthy enough to attend the event in Hollywood. Actor Viggo Mortensen and film producer Mark Canton were among those who praised Hopper and his career before the actor himself took the mic. "Everything I learned in life I learned from you," he said, referring to Hollywood. "This means so much to me. Thank you very much everyone, and Hollywood."
Many of Hopper's Hollywood friends were in attendance, including Jack Nicholson, director David Lynch and singer Johnny Mathis. Hopper received the 2,403rd star along Hollywood Boulevard at a midday celebration in front of the landmark Egyptian Theatre.
Hopper and his wife, Victoria, have been engaged in an increasingly nasty divorce battle in recent months. The actor was scheduled to make a deposition in the case, but his attorney, Joseph Mannis, has argued that because Hopper is so ill, he is unable to defend himself in divorce proceedings.
"It is doubtful that Mr. Hopper will ever recover sufficiently to be subject to a deposition," one of the actor's doctors declared.
Hopper filed for divorce in January. The divorce has also been tripped up by Hopper's requests for visits with the couple's six-year-old daughter.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which dishes out the stars, had this to say about Hopper on its Web site: "An acclaimed actor and filmmaker with an iconic and distinctly American voice, Hopper has been twice nominated for an Academy Award: as Best Supporting Actor for his role as an alcoholic father who gets sober to coach his son's basketball team in 'Hoosiers,' and for Best Original Screenplay of the counter-culture road movie 'Easy Rider,' a film he directed, starred in, and co-wrote with Peter Fonda and Terry Southern."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Garth Brooks may surpass Elvis Presley by releasing digital music
- Peaches Geldof died from a heroin overdose after relapse, coroner says
- Snoop Dogg: I smoked weed 'in the bathroom' at the White House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' Set for Summer 2017
- HBO's Bill Maher Imagines Rupert Murdoch as New Boss (Guest Column)
- Comic-Con: USA's 'Dig' Launches Elaborate Scavenger Hunt (Exclusive)
- Batman at 75: DC Comics co-publisher discusses the Dark Knight's future
- You can't donate to Jon Stewart's CNN Kickstarter, but you can laugh at it
- Best of Late Night TV: John Stamos' New 'Manny' Service, Dwayne Johnson's Thigh Workout, Ricky Gervais' Marriage Apathy (VIDEO)
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True