GLAAD Ticked Off About 'Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives'
By Jo Piazza Posted Mar 26th 2010 03:34PM
The movie stars actual transgendered individuals acting as characters who are so fed up with gay bashing that they choose to take matters violently into their own hands.
GLAAD alleges that the film, its title and its marketing misrepresent the lives of transgender women, and that its use of grotesque, exploitative depictions of violence against transgender women makes light of the horrific brutality they too often face.
Watch a Clip. Warning: Mature
"Because of its positioning as a transgender film, viewers unfamiliar with the lives of transgender women will likely leave this film with the impression that transgender women are ridiculous caricatures of 'real women,'" says GLAAD spokesman Richard Ferraro.
However, film festival organizers say they worked with GLAAD in the early months of festival scheduling and utilized input from the organization in developing marketing materials for the film.
"The filmmakers provided a copy of this film to GLAAD in February, and for weeks the organization had been supportive to the filmmakers," says a representative for the festival. "In fact, GLAAD representatives advised the film's producer, director and cast on how to describe the film to its core constituency. Tribeca is proud of its ongoing commitment to bring diverse voices and stories to its audiences, and looks forward to the film's premiere at our Festival next month."
GLAAD has reached out to writer/director Israel Luna, the film's producer and the Tribeca Film Festival and is now urging members of the gay and lesbian community to contact festival organizers and call on them to pull 'Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives' from the schedule.
Director Israel Luna defended the revenge fantasy to gay blog Queerty, saying, "I don't understand why, whenever there's a gay bashing, the gay community has to play all nicey nice. We're just like them. If they hit us then we're gonna want to hit them back. If someone bashes me, I don't care if I'm in prison or the hospital, I'm gonna find them and torture them. So whenever I hear people saying, 'Fight hate with love,' and 'Love the bashers,' I'm like 'No, f*** that. Let's go get bats and bash them back.'"
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies after parachute accident
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Lisa Robertson reveals more family sex abuse
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Digital Comics Platform Thrillbent Launches iPad App, Subscriptions
- 'Jurassic World' Director: 'We Have Definitely Talked About Sequels'
- Johnny Depp's 'Mortdecai' to Hit Theaters Winter 2015
- ?Nashville' joins proud tradition of unorthodox clip shows: 5 more that stand out
- ?John From Cincinnati' is not on HBO Go or Amazon Prime, and it should be
- tUnE-yArDs channels ?Pee-Wee's Playhouse' for ?Water Fountain' music video
- A 'Frozen' Sequel Isn't Happening Anytime Soon
- 'Jurassic World' Sequels Are Pretty Much Invevitable
- 'Neighbors' Unscripted: Ask Seth Rogen and Zac Efron a Question