Larry King and CNN Getting Clobbered in Ratings
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 30th 2010 11:15AM
NY Times, the most trusted name in news experienced yet another ratings hiccup during the first quarter of 2010, with headline programs like 'Larry King Live' and 'Anderson Cooper 360' down about 50 percent in viewers.
'Larry King' in particular saw its worst quarter ever, averaging a measly 771,000 viewers, down from 1.34 million viewers in 2009. The long-running news program, which will celebrate its 25th anniversary in June, was even beat by HLN's 'Joy Behar Show' a whopping 21 times at 9PM.
Meanwhile, Anderson Cooper was hit by a similar, though not quite as drastic, decline in the ratings. His 10PM program was down 42 percent in viewers and almost 50 percent in the 25-to-54 demo -- a troubling sign, considering that Cooper is one of the networks most lauded and recognizable faces -- not to mention one of its highest paid. (Recently, Cooper was said to be eyeing an anchor position at CBS News, a report that was quickly shot down by CNN.)
But Cooper and King aren't the only ones suffering from bad ratings: 'Campbell Brown' was down at 8PM, as was the network's morning news program, 'American Morning,' which fell behind MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' for the first time ever, according to the report.
What these numbers mean for the future of CNN remains to be seen. But if the network is looking to improve its audience, it may want to take a page from its biggest rival, Fox News Channel. The network is coming off of its biggest quarter ever, with shows like 'Bill O'Reilly' and 'Glenn Beck' up 28 and 50 percent, respectively.
Perhaps it's time for CNN to start courting Sarah Palin.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Finale Recap: Rick Fights Back, Morgan Returns -- Find Out Who Survived a Brutal Episode!
- iHeartRadio Music Awards 2015: Winners List
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians Recap: Kim and Khloe Finally Learn What Scott Disick Does For a Living
- ?Daily Show': Trevor Noah emerges on short list to replace Jon Stewart
- 'Home' scores big at the box office
- Tracey Ullman's mother dies in house fire at 85
- Ronda Rousey Attacks Stephanie McMahon, The Bella Twins Battle for Victory and More WrestleMania Highlights
- Kim Kardashian Takes North West and Her BFF on a Precious Easter Egg Hunt—See the Adorable Pics!
- The Walking Dead's Incredible Season Five Finale Nearly Killed Us – Find Out What Went Down!