Erykah Badu's 'Window Seat' Video: Naked Romp at JFK Landmark Has Web Talking
By PopEater Staff Posted Mar 30th 2010 04:48PM
And it all goes down "within feet" of Dealey Plaza, the infamous spot of John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963, the Dallas Morning News reports.
Badu told the newspaper the video was a "protest" and "about liberating yourself," adding that she chose the grassy knoll intentionally, for its historical significance."I tied it in a way that compared the assassination to the character assassination one would go through after showing his or her self completely," Badu told the Dallas Morning News. "That's exactly the action I wanted to display."
After Badu collapses, blue lines spill from her head, writing "groupthink" on the pavement. Badu has used the video to unleash a Twitterstorm of thoughts about the concept of groupthink. The clip concludes with the following spoken word passage:
A Dallas police officer told MTV if Badu had been spotted or reported, the combination of indecent exposure and the presence of children could have landed her a maximum fine of $4,000 and up to one year in jail ... or both.They play it safe, are quick to assassinate what they do not understand. They move in packs, ingesting more and more fear with every act of hate on one another. They feel most comfortable in groups; less guilt to swallow. They are us; this is what we have become, afraid to respect the individual. A single person within our circumstance can move one to change, to love herself, to evolve.
"What was crazy was the fact that it's a high tourist area, so there was patrol cars all day, and I [was hearing] sirens, looking up and seeing some kind of sherriff's car or something," the video's co-director, Chike, told MTV. "So I was like, 'This is gonna be interesting.' Her contingency plan was get arrested -- she was big on doing it." Chike's partner Coodie said they had bail money ready, adding, "I think she really wanted to get arrested and even make a bigger message."
We gleaned the following facts about the video, which was shot "guerilla style, no crew, one take, no warning," from Badu's Twitter:
funny thing is, the physical nudity is nothing lol . i been naked all along in my words actions and deeds . thats the real vulnerable place
hours before i talked to mama. she said she wasnt fully in favor but she had my back .
we only had 1 shot to get it right. we didnt plan the shot. too busy lookin for cops and being petrified
i remember tweeting that day. "okay here goes nothing" i felt like i was going 2 do something life threatening.
the people caught in the shot were trying hard to ignore me
heard people yelling diff things @ me but i held my head up and kept moving. there were children there. i prayed they wouldnt b traumatized...
they were yelling , THIS IS A PUBLIC PLACE : YOU OUGHTA BE ASHAMED: PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON: DAMN GIRL! etc...
funny, i thought i was outta shape thus encouraging others toward self love .. but they think im showin off. lol. the irony .
The video arrived in tandem with the artist's new album, 'New Amerykah, Part Two: Return of the Ankh,' her fifth studio release since her 1997 debut.
Warning: Video below contains blurred-out nudity.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paris Hilton slammed by world famous DJ
- J.K. Rowling writes backstory for Potter character
- NBCUniversal settles lawsuit with unpaid interns for $6.4 million
- ?Constantine' star Matt Ryan is a super binge watcher
- Entertainment Geekly: How ?The Walking Dead' is ?Lord of the Rings'
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch try to walk like Beyonce
- ?Sons of Guns' Stars Arrested for Alleged Child Cruelty
- Bed Hopping, Backstabbing and More Drama in Store for 'General Hospital'!
- Harold Perrineau Joins the DC Universe as a Never-Before-Seen Character in 'Constantine'
- Chinese Woman Spends Entire Week at KFC After Getting Dumped By Boyfriend, Says She "Needed Time to Think"
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend