Robin Williams Sets Off Australia-Alabama Feud
By Marc Schneider Posted Apr 1st 2010 09:30AM
The comment didn't sit well with Australia's leader, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who told a radio show: "I think Robin Williams should go and spend a bit of time in Alabama before he frames comments about anyone being particularly redneck."
Oh no he didn't, y'all!
That dig in turn annoyed the bejeezus out of Alabama Gov. Bob Riley, who promptly released a statement defending his state. "I'm not sure if Prime Minister Rudd has ever been to Alabama," he said. "If he has, he would know that Alabamians are decent, hard working, creative people."
Still, Williams, aware that he may have ticked off some of his Aussie fans, called into a popular radio show there on Thursday to laugh off the controversy.
"Nice comeback, way to go K-Rudd," Williams said of the PM's Alabama-dissing response to his joke. "I was just there for two weeks. Every time I've been in Australia it's been wonderful. I love it down there."
He went on to apologize to Rudd and offered that perhaps he should "modify my terminology and say 'English good old boy'" next time he tells the joke, which he says he told dozens of time in Australia without objection.
"Please let me come back to Australia without a cavity search," he begged. "And if not, I'd love to go to a strip club with you in New York."
Rudd admitted during his campaign to become Prime Minister a few years ago that he had visited a "gentlemen's club" in Manhattan back in 2003. He said he didn't remember much about the night because he "had too much to drink."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Keith Richards documentary, solo album debut same day
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen pondering 'Fuller House' role, Netflix boss says
- ABC's David Muir and NBC's Lester Holt neck-and-neck
- Terrence Howard Sued for Assault, Defamation by Ex-Wife
- Cinemax Cancels 'Banshee'
- Man Rants Against Bald Villains, Says Hollywood Is Discriminating
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Recap of 'Pretty Little Liars' Season 6 Episode 8: A's Right Hand Man Revealed?
- Brittany Snow Will Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3,' Too
- 'Bachelorette' Host Chris Harrison Hates Lifetime's 'UnREAL'