Talking Kilts and Breakfast Haggis With Sir Sean Connery
By Mike Hess Posted Apr 5th 2010 10:02AM
If 20 years ago, someone told you that Sir Sean Connery -- you know, the smoothest James Bond there ever was -- would take pride in getting the hottest men (and women) in Hollywood to wear skirts on a runway, you would have laughed them off of the block. Cut to 2010, and it's time for Connery's eighth annual Dressed to Kilt event (which takes place Monday, April 5), where stars ranging from Gerard Butler to Joan Jett are set to flash some leg (hopefully that's all) in the fashion show that will benefit the Paralyzed Veterans of America and its Scottish equivalent. PopEater was able to briefly chat with Sir Sean about the event, what it means to him and, since he's Scottish, just how exactly one should eat haggis now that it's OK to import it into the U.S.
Are you surprised at what a massive annual event this has become?
Not really. People love all things Scottish. Dressed to Kilt gives them a view of contemporary Scotland that some people are not aware of here in America. In addition to its rich heritage, Scotland has a 10-year-old parliament and an ongoing peaceful and democratic national discussion about independence. These things make Scotland a very interesting place.
Over the past seven shows, is there anyone you really had to convince to throw a kilt on?
What's your advice for avoiding any kilt faux pas during this runway show?
Keep it on.
On the same Scottish pride angle, it just became legal to import haggis into the U.S. Please discuss the proper way one should eat haggis.
That depends on the individual. Whatever way appeals to the person is fine. Some people have it with eggs for breakfast and others enjoy it with lunch or dinner.
2009 Dressed to Kilt Pics
Actress Andie MacDowell and her daughters Rainey and Sarah Margaret walk the runway during the 2009 Dressed to Kilt Charity fashion show in New York City on March 30, 2009.
Ben Trivett, Popeater
Ben Trivett, Popeater
PopEaters 2009 Kilt Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rapper facing life in prison for 'promoting gang violence' on album cover
- Britain still grappling with barrage of celebrity sex abuse
- Lou Ferrigno's wife Carla Ferrigno accuses Bill Cosby of assault; more come forward
- William Shatner Books Arc on Syfy's 'Haven'
- Richard Linklater to Receive Casting Society of America's Career Achievement Award
- TV Ratings: 'How to Get Away With Murder' Climbs in Fall Finale
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- George Lucas is Making 'Strange Magic' in This New Trailer (VIDEO)
- What in the World Is Going on at 'The Today Show'?
- Eddie Redmayne Facts: 23 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Theory of Everything' Star