Talking Kilts and Breakfast Haggis With Sir Sean Connery
By Mike Hess Posted Apr 5th 2010 10:02AM
If 20 years ago, someone told you that Sir Sean Connery -- you know, the smoothest James Bond there ever was -- would take pride in getting the hottest men (and women) in Hollywood to wear skirts on a runway, you would have laughed them off of the block. Cut to 2010, and it's time for Connery's eighth annual Dressed to Kilt event (which takes place Monday, April 5), where stars ranging from Gerard Butler to Joan Jett are set to flash some leg (hopefully that's all) in the fashion show that will benefit the Paralyzed Veterans of America and its Scottish equivalent. PopEater was able to briefly chat with Sir Sean about the event, what it means to him and, since he's Scottish, just how exactly one should eat haggis now that it's OK to import it into the U.S.
Are you surprised at what a massive annual event this has become?
Not really. People love all things Scottish. Dressed to Kilt gives them a view of contemporary Scotland that some people are not aware of here in America. In addition to its rich heritage, Scotland has a 10-year-old parliament and an ongoing peaceful and democratic national discussion about independence. These things make Scotland a very interesting place.
Over the past seven shows, is there anyone you really had to convince to throw a kilt on?
What's your advice for avoiding any kilt faux pas during this runway show?
Keep it on.
On the same Scottish pride angle, it just became legal to import haggis into the U.S. Please discuss the proper way one should eat haggis.
That depends on the individual. Whatever way appeals to the person is fine. Some people have it with eggs for breakfast and others enjoy it with lunch or dinner.
2009 Dressed to Kilt Pics
Actress Andie MacDowell and her daughters Rainey and Sarah Margaret walk the runway during the 2009 Dressed to Kilt Charity fashion show in New York City on March 30, 2009.
Ben Trivett, Popeater
Ben Trivett, Popeater
PopEaters 2009 Kilt Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled after report Mama June dating sex offender
- Country singer RaeLynn gets surprise visit from military brother
- ?King David' movie in the works at Warner Bros.
- Greg Garcia Sells Coming of Age Comedy to ABC (Exclusive)
- 'Shameless' Actor Justin Chatwin Joins 'Urge' (Exclusive)
- 'Parenthood's' Lauren Graham Heads to CBS' 'Odd Couple'
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys ?R' Us after ?Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- The 5 most interesting facts about ?Super Smash Bros. for Wii U'
- Keanu Reeves Completely, Totally Loves 'John Wick' (VIDEO)
- Best of Late Night TV: Taylor Swift's New Album and Neil Patrick Harris' Nude Scene (VIDEO)
- Hear Meryl Streep & Anna Kendrick Sing in New 'Into the Woods' Featurette (VIDEO)