Annie Leibovitz Accused of Biting the Hand That Helped Her
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Apr 6th 2010 08:38AM
Brunswick Capital Partners LP said in a lawsuit filed Friday that Leibovitz owes the fees for its help arranging her recent financing agreement with another firm, Colony Capital LLC, the Associated Press reports. Through a spokesman, Leibovitz declined to comment Monday.
New York-based Brunswick said it "made exhaustive efforts" to link Leibovitz with investors who could help her out of a financial hole that had threatened to cost her control of her life's work.
Leibovitz has photographed figures ranging from Bruce Springsteen to Queen Elizabeth during her 40-year career. Sometimes theatrical, often provocative, her work includes such famous images as a nude and very pregnant Demi Moore, and a nude John Lennon cuddling with a clothed Yoko Ono hours before his death.
Designated a "Living Legend" by the Library of Congress, she made but mismanaged a fortune. By last summer, she was struggling to repay a $24 million loan, with her three historic Manhattan townhouses and the copyright to all her pictures on the line.
"As a result of its diligent efforts, Brunswick Capital successfully found several interested and viable investors" -- including Colony, according to the lawsuit, filed in a Manhattan state court.
Santa Monica, Calif.-based Colony agreed last month to help manage Leibovitz's debt and market her portfolio. She retained total control of her work in the deal, which Brunswick Capital says is worth more than $40 million. Colony declined to comment.
The lawsuit seeks more than $803,000.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Courtney Stodden responds to momager quitting: She just wants to be famous
- Lori Loughlin joins 'Fuller House,' reacts to Olsen twins snub
- 'The Bachelor's' Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff have broken up
- Lori Loughlin Confirms Role in 'Fuller House' Revival
- 'Big Bang Theory' Cast Announces UCLA Scholarship Endowment
- Lena Dunham On 'Girls' Racial Backlash: "It Was an Educational, Painful Process for Me"
- Andy Serkis's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Character Revealed
- 'Bachelor' Chris Soules Splits from Whitney Bischoff
- 'The Daily Show with Trevor Noah' Sets September Premiere Date