Jim Carrey, Jenny McCarthy's 'Twit Split' Explained
Jim Carrey's PR rep instructed his client and Jenny McCarthy to Tweet the news of their split yesterday only after discovering the story had leaked to Star magazine, according to the tabloid's editor.
"We put the story to bed Monday, and when his rep [Marleah Leslie] called our Los Angeles office to confirm that it was on a cover box, she told Jim to send the Tweet," editor-in-chief Candace Trunzo told PopEater.
The new issue of Star, which only became available on Wednesday, attributed the split to the pressure Carrey's admitted battle with depression had put on the relationship. It also claimed the couple had already trialed "mini-breaks."
But the use of Twitter as a PR tool to get ahead of the story--and the impact of Carrey's depression--are the missing pieces in the surprise conclusion of a seemingly-solid Hollywood union that had baffled observers.
University of Washington sociology professor and relationship expert Dr. Pepper Schwartz said the lack of "heat and anger" indicated by coordinated Tweets suggested the relationship dissolved over long-standing issues, rather than something explosive like an affair.
"Usually when a relationship breaks up there are great feelings of grief and loss or anger. But when a relationship has been devitalized, when it has been dwindling for awhile, there is a shrug of 'let's acknowledge that it's not working for us,'" said Dr. Schwartz, the author of "Finding Your Perfect Match" and chief relationship expert for PerfectMatch.com.
She said that grand gestures at the end of a relationship--like Carrey hiring a plane to sky-write "J (hearts) J" over their home this past Valentine's Day--fit the pattern of a long-standing problem.
"There might be something that's been going on a long time that they've kept quiet and been dealing with, and the February 14 thing was in response to that, trying to keep it together," she said.
Carrey shocked the world--and sabotaged Star's exclusive--by Tweeting on Tuesday: "Jenny and I have just ended our 5yr relationship. I'm grateful 4 the many blessings we've shared and I wish her the very best!"
McCarthy Tweeted separately: "I'm so grateful for the years Jim and I had together. I will stay committed to Jane and will always keep Jim as a leading man in my heart."
MORE ABOUT Jim Carrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Jim Carrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: NFL star gets tons of wedding gifts
- Helen Mirren dresses like Queen Elizabeth, grants sick child's wish to meet royality
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Is Kellie Pickler the best winner ever?
- USA Orders Family Comedy Pilot From 'Fairly Legal' Producer
- Netflix's Ted Sarandos Reveals His 'Phase 2' for Hollywood
- TV Ratings: 'Dancing' Rises in Finale, 'Voice' Dips, 'SYTYCD' Steady With Premiere
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga
- Ed Helms, 'The Hangover Part 3' Star, on the End of the Franchise and Leaving 'The Office'