Shania Twain Comes Out of 'Deep, Dark Slump'
"I feel like, in a way, I'm starting over, with everything," Twain revealed to Oprah Winfrey on Thursday. "This is a very personal experience that I think is important to share. This is an experience of recovery. I was in a very deep, dark slump, and I needed to find a way to get myself out of it. I had to force myself back out into life, back out into experiencing things."
Twain spoke about the depths of her despair while interviewed by Winfrey at an "upfront" presentation for advertisers in New York. She is set to star in a new reality television show on a brand spanking new cable network -- OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network.
"There were moments when I really just thought, I don't need anything and I don't need anyone," Twain shared. "I just want to go away and disappear. So, that was a bad slump." Her 14-year marriage to music producer Robert "Mutt" Lange ended after he started a relationship with Twain's longtime friend and assistant Marie-Anne Thiébaud. Lange wrote songs for Twain and produced her chart-topping album 'Come On Over.' It sold over 34 million copies worldwide and included the hits 'You're Still the One' and 'Man! I Feel Like a Woman!' The pair are currently separated.
The new reality show, 'Why Not? With Shania Twain,' follows the country music darling as she recovers from heartache. The show "will follow [Twain] as she begins her climb back to the top, a personal journey filled with risk, revelations and unexpected adventures," says OWN. In fact, the title of the show alludes to one of the ways she began her recovery.
"One day, someone said to me, 'Do you want to go jump out of an airplane?'" said Twain. "I felt like I had nothing to lose anymore, so I said, 'Why not?' And every day since then, I ask myself that question."
Twain's personal life is on the rebound, but she is unsure if she'll ever make it all the way back to complete harmony. "There's a lot of recovery to accomplish," she said. "I'm not there yet. I'm on my way there. I'm not sure I'll ever be there."
She is currently dating Thiébaud's ex-husband Frédéric.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rumer Willis is 'blown away' by her sister Tallulah's strength
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- Paris Hilton slammed by world famous DJ
- The problem with collecting comics
- This Week on Stage: ?Disgraced' is anything but, Keira Knightley preps her Broadway debut
- ?Constantine' star Matt Ryan is a super binge watcher
- ?Sons of Guns' Stars Arrested for Alleged Child Cruelty
- Bed Hopping, Backstabbing and More Drama in Store for 'General Hospital'!
- Harold Perrineau Joins the DC Universe as a Never-Before-Seen Character in 'Constantine'
- Kim Kardashian Is Showstopper In Plunging Dress at Las Vegas 34th Birthday Bash: Pictures
- Anna Kendrick Dazzles in New Kate Spade Holiday Ad Campaign: See the Behind-the-Scenes Pictures!
- Sugar Bear Visits Mama June's House After TLC Announces Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancellation