Colin Farrell Takes a Stand Against Homophobia
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 12th 2010 07:39PM
Colin Farrell may have a reputation as a Hollywood bad boy, but the actor has a long history of speaking out on behalf of worthy causes. The actor recently released a press statement on behalf of Irish LGBT advocacy organization BeLonG, whose 'Stand Up!' campaign aims to stop bullying based on sexual orientation. Of the bigotry often expressed toward LGBT individuals, Farrell says, "Intolerance is not genetically encoded -- it is taught. It is learned at home. It is learned in the classrooms and it is learned anywhere else we gather as a group... Bullying is torture, it is another betrayal of basic human decency and its scars reach way into the future of its survivors."
Farrell, whose older brother Eamon was the target of bullying, remembers feeling both confused and hurt upon realizing that his older brother was being singled out. He says, "People are often afraid of difference. They feel that anything that causes fear should be turned away from. My brother represented fear for so many people, but caused joy in my life. From a very young age, he made me laugh with his intelligence and wit, made me aspire to his strength and goodness. He was to be embraced."
Farrell says of his brother, who reportedly wed his partner last summer, "My brother was so forceful in standing up for who he was, and for the good that he knew was inside of him. Many people missed out on an opportunity, not only to enjoy him, but to enjoy themselves by embracing his "difference." They missed out because they saw him as a threat -- not as a testament to the kaleidoscope and diversity of this beautiful world."
MORE ABOUT Colin Farrell
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Colin Farrell Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Deadliest Catch's' Keith Colburn: Washington politics hurt my business
- Disney stars turned sexy
- Surprising celeb nude scenes
- Rian Johnson Talks Excitement, Prep and Fake Plans for 'Star Wars'
- 'Leverage,' 'Walking Dead' Actors Join N.W.A. Biopic 'Straight Outta Compton'
- Robert Halmi Jr. and Cinedigm Pact for Genre Movies
- Who said it, Justin Bieber or Johnny Manziel?
- What does an episode of ?Friends' look like without any jokes?
- The 10 best videos from Comic-Con 2014
- 9 Shows to Try Out Now That 'The Bachelorette' Isn't On (VIDEO)
- Get a Glimpse at Big Bad Ra's Al Ghul in the Extended 'Arrow' Season 3 Trailer (VIDEO)
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Movie Poster Invokes 9/11 Attack