Conan O'Brien Debuts Nationwide Comedy Tour, Receives Standing Ovation
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Apr 13th 2010 06:26AM
announced he had signed a deal with TBS for his new late-night TV gig, he kicked off his nationwide tour and brought the crowd in Eugene, Oregon, to its feet, AP reports. "This is the first time anyone has paid to see me. They've paid me to go away," O'Brien told Monday's audience of more than 2,500, an obvious reference to the former 'Tonight Show' host's $32 million exit deal with NBC in January. During 'The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On TV Tour,' O'Brien worked the stage hard, joking, dancing and even making costume changes that, at one point, included a pink leather outfit.
Warning that "lawyers are watching," O'Brien told the crowd that he was barred from performing on TV, radio or online for the near future and that ownership of some of his bits was in question. That didn't stop him from including a Triumph routine or bringing out the Masturbating Bear, who with a small costume adjustment became the Self-Pleasuring Panda.
O'Brien acknowledged that a new TV gig awaits him later this year: TBS announced Monday that he will host a four-day-a-week show at 11PM Eastern time, perhaps starting in November.
"You may have heard I got a new job: new assistant manager at Eugene's Banana Republic," he wisecracked, later acknowledging the TBS job in a parody version of 'On the Road Again.'
O'Brien tossed barbs NBC's way, showing short films in which he played a bald man who introduced himself as a "generic network executive," boasted about heading one of the top 17 networks and introduced a new series called "I'm a Celebrity and I Eat Bark."
O'Brien's sidekick Andy Richter is along for the tour, with Reggie Watts the opening act. Among O'Brien's debut show guests were the band Spoon and, from the NBC sitcom '30 Rock,' cast member Jack McBrayer, who plays Kenneth the page. Other celebrities are expected to drop in throughout the tour, which heads to Vancouver, Canada, on Wednesday.
Conan O'Brien Snapshots
Comedian Conan O'Brien performs at the opening night of "The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On TV Tour" at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts on April 12, 2010 in Eugene, Oregon. More Conan Photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Victoria Beckham Collapses Under Weight of Water in Ice Bucket Challenge, Gets Soaked by Kids
- Scott Weiland Impersonator in Jail, Fooled Police by Claiming to be Rocker for Whole Month
- Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon Living Apart, Marriage on the Rocks; How Ciara Discovered Future Was Cheating: Top 5 Stories
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- 7 'James Bond' girls scandals
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Celebrity ministers: Stars who officiate weddings
- So Weird! Man Arrested and Jailed Claimed to Be Scott Weiland, but Former Stone Temple Pilots Frontman Is Safe in the Studio
- MythBusters Stars Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara Are Leaving the Show
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Celebrate Son Zuma's Birthday in Los Angeles—Get the Details!