Conan O'Brien Debuts Nationwide Comedy Tour, Receives Standing Ovation
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Apr 13th 2010 06:26AM
announced he had signed a deal with TBS for his new late-night TV gig, he kicked off his nationwide tour and brought the crowd in Eugene, Oregon, to its feet, AP reports. "This is the first time anyone has paid to see me. They've paid me to go away," O'Brien told Monday's audience of more than 2,500, an obvious reference to the former 'Tonight Show' host's $32 million exit deal with NBC in January. During 'The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On TV Tour,' O'Brien worked the stage hard, joking, dancing and even making costume changes that, at one point, included a pink leather outfit.
Warning that "lawyers are watching," O'Brien told the crowd that he was barred from performing on TV, radio or online for the near future and that ownership of some of his bits was in question. That didn't stop him from including a Triumph routine or bringing out the Masturbating Bear, who with a small costume adjustment became the Self-Pleasuring Panda.
O'Brien acknowledged that a new TV gig awaits him later this year: TBS announced Monday that he will host a four-day-a-week show at 11PM Eastern time, perhaps starting in November.
"You may have heard I got a new job: new assistant manager at Eugene's Banana Republic," he wisecracked, later acknowledging the TBS job in a parody version of 'On the Road Again.'
O'Brien tossed barbs NBC's way, showing short films in which he played a bald man who introduced himself as a "generic network executive," boasted about heading one of the top 17 networks and introduced a new series called "I'm a Celebrity and I Eat Bark."
O'Brien's sidekick Andy Richter is along for the tour, with Reggie Watts the opening act. Among O'Brien's debut show guests were the band Spoon and, from the NBC sitcom '30 Rock,' cast member Jack McBrayer, who plays Kenneth the page. Other celebrities are expected to drop in throughout the tour, which heads to Vancouver, Canada, on Wednesday.
Conan O'Brien Snapshots
Comedian Conan O'Brien performs at the opening night of "The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On TV Tour" at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts on April 12, 2010 in Eugene, Oregon. More Conan Photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ethan Hawke, Jimmy Fallon Play Bob Dylan Lullabies With Guitar: Watch
- Teresa Giudice Prison Photo Reveals How Much She's Changed as She and Joe Open Up About Her Ordeal
- Hilaria Baldwin Shows Off Baby Bump in Sexy Black Bikini: Photo
- Olivia Wilde talks post-baby body: 'I am not in perfect shape'
- Paula Patton on 'becoming an adult' after Robin Thicke split
- Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell hospitalized in Los Angeles
- Joni Mitchell Rushed to Hospital After Falling Ill at Los Angeles Home: Report
- The Flash Boss Breaks Down Everything We Just Learned About Harrison Wells...and Eobard Thawne?!
- Beyoncé Shows Off Legs for Days in Sexy Purple Skirt While Making Surprise Appearance at Chanel Fashion Show