For the Hour, Larry King's Already Nasty Divorce
Less than 24 hours after dining together at a popular steakhouse in Beverly Hills, Larry King filed for divorce from his seventh wife, Shawn Southwick, and since then, the rumor mill has been grinding non-stop with reports of infidelity and erratic behavior by both parties.
Both of their divorce filings cite "irreconcilable differences" for the sudden split; now, the rush is on to uncover exactly what came between the two.
Sources tell TMZ that Southwick believes King has been having a five-year affair with her sister. Apparently, she checked his credit card statement and saw King had bought expensive gifts, including a $160,000 car, but none of it was given to Southwick. Her sister, Shannon Engemann, has flatly denied the affair, which was first alleged in a 2009 National Enquirer report.
King employees tell RadarOnline.com that Engemann is a regular visitor to the office and that "their relationship seemed very natural."
Age Difference: 26 years
Dave Hogan, Getty Images
Vince Bucci, Getty Images
Charley Gallay, Getty Images
Frank Micelotta / Getty Images
Jim Spellman, WireImage.com
Will Ragozzino, Getty Images
Vince Bucci, Getty Images
Getty Images (2)
Matt Sayles, AP
MTV / Getty Images
For her part, Southwick is also being accused of past infidelities. According to PopEater sources, rumors have been circulating that the 50-year-old former singer has been having an affair of her own in recent months -- with an employee of King's.
And in 2008, the Enquirer reported she had an affair with the baseball coach of her and Larry's son.
A friend close to the situation tells PopEater that King and Southwick have been "fighting a lot" in recent months and that the CNN star appeared to be in a bad mood while at dinner with his soon-to-be ex-wife the night before they both filed for divorce.
The CNN talk host, 76, and Southwick, 50, tied the knot in 1997 and have two sons together, 11-year-old Chance and Cannon, 9. This will actually be the eighth divorce from seven different women for the CNN host. She has an older son from one of her three previous marriages.
King and Southwick exchanged vows in a hospital room shortly before he went into surgery for a clogged blood vessel.
Touching wedding aside, the couple made their last day a cold and calculated one full of court filings. King's spokesperson Howard Rubenstein told PEOPLE that King's "major concern is the welfare of his children" and that the talk host is asking the court for joint custody of their two kids and to deny Southwick any spousal support. Minutes after he filed, Southwick's lawyer followed suit, asking for primary physical custody as well as spousal and child support.
Other issues have emerged in the turbulent marriage.
The couple caused a stir in 2007 when they engaged in a very public spat inside and out of a Beverly Hills restaurant. The heated incident forced King's longtime rep, Rubenstein, to clarify: "He only has good feelings about her. He's deeply concerned about her well-being. He has enormous affection for her. He denies berating her."
In 2008, Southwick, a former TV host, entered rehab for addiction to painkillers. Her father, Karl Engmann, told PEOPLE that the issue was related to painful migraines. "She finally decided to do something about it," he said. "We're happy she's taking care of herself and everything will be fine."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Dancing With the Stars Season 19 Premiere Recap: First Dances Bring Gaffes, Greatness
- Miss Nebraska Megan Swanson Flashes Underwear on Live TV; Angelina Jolie Looks Sporty in Shorts with Brad Pitt: Top 5 Stories
- Khloe Kardashian Jokingly Blames Pregnant Sister Kourtney For Her Weight Gain
- Fallen PALINtician! Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin Emerges Looking Haggard In Wake Of Alleged Family Brawl ? Where's Her Wedding Ring?!
- Sarah Palin's Haggard And Without Wedding Ring Post Alleged Brawl
- Crumbling Empire: Teresa Giudice Lists Beloved Jersey Shore House & Family Boat After Mansion Put On Market ? Ahead Of October Sentencing Date
- Cheryl Burke: This is 'probably' my last season on 'Dancing With the Stars'
- 'Jersey Boys' lyricist Bob Crewe dead at 83
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault for hitting fan with vodka bottle at nightclub
- August Alsina Collapses Off Stage During New York Concert—See the Scary Clip
- Ranking the Awkwardness on the Dancing with the Stars Premiere: What Made Us Cringe the Most?
- Sarah Palin Goes Makeup-Free—and Kinda, Sorta Gives the Finger—After Family Is Involved in Drunken Fight