Sheriff Slaps Cuffs on 'Steven Seagal Lawman'
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Apr 15th 2010 11:16AM
Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand said the continued recording of the reality series would be a distraction for the department in light of allegations made against Seagal by a woman in a California civil lawsuit.
Kayden Nguyen, a 23-year-old model, sued Seagal for $1 million on Monday in Los Angeles, alleging he sexually harassed her and engaged in sex trafficking. Her lawsuit claims Seagal hired her as an executive assistant and flew her to Louisiana while he was making the reality series and repeatedly groped and fondled her.
She claims she was kept at a house in Lafitte, La., for several days and that Seagal repeatedly fondled and groped her, touching her genitals and breasts without permission. She claims two other women were kept at the house and were used by the actor for sexual purposes. She also claims Seagal forced her to take illegal prescription medications and that she repeatedly complained to others on Seagal's staff but wasn't allowed to leave the home. Nguyen states she fled the house after several days and borrowed money to return to Los Angeles.
Steven Seagal Snapshots
Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand, foreground, concludes a news conference at the Sheriff Department headquarters in Harvey, La., Wednesday, April 14, 2010. The filming of the reality series, "Steven Seagal Lawman," featuring reserve deputy and movie star Steven Seagal, will be suspended "for the time being," Normand said, because the continued filming would be a distraction for the department in light of allegations made against Seagal by a woman in a California civil lawsuit. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
Seagal's attorney, Marty Singer, denied the allegations and said in a statement that Nguyen was fired for illegal drug use.
Normand, at a news conference Wednesday, said he does not plan an investigation of the allegations unless the woman makes a criminal or administrative complaint against Seagal with the sheriff's office.
Her attorney, William S. Waldo, said she talked to Seagal about the alleged abuse, but didn't report it to authorities. "She reported it to Steven Seagal," Waldo said. "In Jefferson Parish, Mr. Seagal is the police."
Nguyen filed a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment & Housing and requested an immediate finding that she could sue Seagal. The agency granted that request and closed her case on April 1, court filings show.
Normand said he has informed A&E, the network that airs the show, and ITV Studios that it would be disruptive to continue making the show, in which cameras follow Seagal when he answers calls as a reserve deputy, with so much media interest in the Seagal case.
"I did not think it would be in our best interest to continue filming at the present time," he said.
"We are aware of Sheriff Normand's decision to halt production on 'Steven Seagal Lawman' at this time and we have no further comment," A&E spokesman Dan Silberman said.
Silberman confirmed that the show was in production when it was shut down by the sheriff and that there was no alternative plan to resume production at this time.
Although no action is planned against Seagal, Normand said he wouldn't get any special treatment.
A phone message left for Nguyen's attorney after the sheriff's news conference was not immediately returned.
Seagal's attorney also wasn't immediately available for comment.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chinese Woman Spends Entire Week at KFC After Getting Dumped By Boyfriend, Says She "Needed Time to Think"
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- J.K. Rowling writes backstory for Potter character
- NBCUniversal settles lawsuit with unpaid interns for $6.4 million
- Utah guards face career-ending penalties over bikini photo shoot
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!