Mo'Nique's Brother Admits He Sexually Abused Her
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 19th 2010 05:00PM
"I abused and betrayed the trust of another sibling, my sister, my blood sister," Imes said. He apologized to the actress, saying, "I'm sorry, Mo'Nique. I'm sorry."
Imes said he decided to appear on Winfrey's show to apologize to Mo'Nique and bring their family back together. "I can only hope by coming forward that somewhere down the line, with the apology and the truth finally coming out after 37 years ... That as siblings, we can come back together as brother and sister."
He added, addressing his sister as if she were there: "It happened. I'm sorry that I was the one who did it to you. I understand your pain. Now let's share this together."
The actress did not comment on Imes' admission. Winfrey said that while Mo'Nique did not want to be interviewed for the show, she gave the talk host her blessing. "She said if your expressing what you had done to her could save one family then it would be worth it," Winfrey told Imes.
Imes said he himself was molested and he was using drugs and alcohol at age 11. "The drugs weren't an excuse," he said. "They just afforded me the opportunity to do the things that was (sic) in the back of my mind that I always wanted to do."
Mo'Nique has discussed her brother's molestation in previous interviews, most recently with Barbara Walters when she called her brother a "monster." One claim that Imes denied to Winfrey was that he used to lure his sister with candy.
"As inappropriate as it was. As humiliating as it was. I didn't groom her," he said. Winfrey then described "grooming" as the manipulative steps that abusers take to gain the trust of their victims, such as gift-giving.
Years after abusing his sister, Imes was convicted and served 12 years in prison for crimes unrelated to Mo'Nique. When asked by Winfrey how many people he has molested, Imes admitted to two victims.
Mo'Nique's parents also appeared on the episode. "It was such a heartbreaking thing to accept," said her mother, Alice Imes.
Mo'Nique received the supporting actress Academy Award in March for her role in 'Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire,' which was co-produced by Winfrey. Mo'Nique has said she channeled her experience of being molested into the role of the abusive mother she played in the film.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Queen Elizabeth II photobombs young tourists' selfie
- Weird Al Yankovic has his first No. 1 album ever
- Alec Baldwin appears in NYC court after Shia LaBeouf leaves
- 108 Media Takes Worldwide Sales Rights to Bruneian Action Pic 'Yasmine'
- Haunted House in Beijing Attracts Visitors Following Release of 'The House That Never Dies'
- South Korean Filmmakers Laud Venice Fest Presence, Discuss Lack of Competition Spot
- ?Veronica Mars' takes Fandom of the Year at mtvU's awards show
- Video: ?Harry Potter' meets ?Boyhood' in ?Potterhood' mock trailer
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot