The News, Publicity, Money and Ratings Behind the Larry King Divorce
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 20th 2010 05:17PM
What in the world is happening with Larry King and his wife Shawn? First, both individually filed for divorce from one another. Then, in the wake of the filings, allegations of infidelity and nasty spats on both sides emerged in the press. A week after the dust had settled, the two have "postponed" their divorce from going any further, in the hopes of working things out. Kudos for that effort, but do both have a good deal to gain financially should they stay together?
Monetarily speaking, King is in a vulnerable position, and it has nothing to do with the fact that this would be his eighth divorce. King, whose estimated fortune is upwards of $150 million, did not have a pre-nup when he married Shawn Southwick, a move that could put a world of hurt on his bank account. So, for that reason, many are speculating that King may want to reconsider and reconcile.
"Larry insisted that Shawn turned him down on a pre-nup -- a decision he now regrets," an insider close to the King situation told PopEater's Rob Shuter. "He is worth over $144 million and will do whatever he can to protect his money, even if that means remaining married."
Without a pre-nup, King later signed a post-nup (yes, that's an actual term), however, according to TMZ, it wasn't so much to protect his bank flow, but to show his commitment to his wife. In the post-nup, King agreed that Southwick was entitled to half of his entire fortune, and even signed over three houses to her.
TMZ reports that King's attorney, Dennis Wasser, claims his client signed the legal agreement because of "undue influence," and that Southwick "strong-armed" him into it.
The ever-changing and confusing details of the King split seem to have everyone wondering what is going on. The Insider is even asking their readers if they think the divorce is one big publicity stunt.
Publicity stunt or not, one thing is for sure: King hasn't been killing in the ratings lately. And, perhaps it should be mentioned that the divorce announcement came just two weeks after a report that King's ratings had dropped 44 percent in the first quarter of 2010. (In all fairness to King, CNN's ratings have been tanking overall. Anderson Cooper lost 50 percent of the coveted 25-to-54 demo.)
However, according to TVbythenumbers.com, which tallies daily ratings for the cable news networks, CNN has seen a significant post-divorce bump in the ratings. CNN jumped from 563,000 viewers to 736,000 viewers in the primetime hours between April 14 (the day King filed his divorce papers) and April 15. On April 16, CNN sustained a rating of 731,000 primetime viewers.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
MacGruber cast members Kristen Wiig and Will Forte stand in the ring at the WWE Monday Night Raw on April 19th in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
George Napolitano, FilmMagic
George Napolitano, FilmMagic
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Breaks Down in Tears After "Terrifying" Montana Car Crash on Keeping Up With the Kardashians Sneak Peek: Watch
- Robert Downey Jr. Moves Same Furniture to Every House He Rents While on Location for Films
- Kendra Wilkinson's BFF Jessica Hall Welcomes First Child: "Couldn't Be More Proud and Happy for My Closest Friend"
- Fox News' Megyn Kelly secures exclusive sit-down interview with Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar
- Paul McCartney last smoked pot 'a long time ago'
- Pete Townshend opens up about past alcohol abuse
- Melissa Joan Hart Shows Off 40-Pound Weight Loss at Sister's "Crazy" Bachelorette Party Weekend in Miami
- B.B. King Honored at Mississippi Funeral, President Barack Obama and Bill Clinton Pay Tribute to Blues Legend
- Prince William Calls for FIFA Reform Amid Corruption Scandal, Wears Glasses at 2015 FA Cup Final—See Photos!