Melanie Griffith 'Starving the Monster' of Addiction
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 21st 2010 06:48AM
¡Hola! magazine (via PEOPLE). "I think of it as a monster. If I feed it, it will always want more and more, so now I'm letting it starve to death in a corner. But it's always there."
Griffith, 52, has struggled with substance abuse for decades and says medical treatment has helped her kick the habit. "Now I feel free," she says. "I don't drink. I don't take pills. Nothing. And it's fantastic. It's like getting out of prison."
Antonio Banderas, who has been married to Griffith for nearly 14 years, says that seeing his wife through her addiction has brought the entire family closer. "There were people who literally didn't give us more than six months!" Banderas says. "But we love each other, and above all we love our family. We've figured out how to get past obstacles ... and if you get past those, you only get stronger."
The actress sought treatment over the summer at the Cirque Lodge in Utah. "She is there to reinforce her commitment to stay healthy," her publicist Robin Baum told Star magazine at the time. "This is part of a routine plan that was designed between her and her doctors years ago."
Melanie Griffith talking to a street musician in Santa Monica April 10, 2010 X17online.com EXCLUSIVE
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- UC Berkeley overrides student group, re-invites Bill Maher to speak
- Stars' sneaky skin-showing tricks
- Jennifer Lopez: I felt 'abused' in past relationships
- 'The View' Moving to ABC News' Non-Fiction Programming Group
- Watch the First Trailer for Syfy's New Thriller '12 Monkeys'
- 'Game of Thrones' Cast Signs for Season 7 with Big Raises (Exclusive)
- Funny or Die spoofs viral New York City street-harassment video
- Jim Carrey reprises his Matthew McConaughey impression on ?Letterman'
- 13 Mistakes From Your Favorite '90s Sitcoms
- Best of Late Night TV: Jake Gyllenhaal's Water War and Jim Carrey's Matthew McConaughey Impression (VIDEO)
- 22 Amazingly Improvised Movie-Inspired Halloween Costumes