Melanie Griffith 'Starving the Monster' of Addiction
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 21st 2010 06:48AM
¡Hola! magazine (via PEOPLE). "I think of it as a monster. If I feed it, it will always want more and more, so now I'm letting it starve to death in a corner. But it's always there."
Griffith, 52, has struggled with substance abuse for decades and says medical treatment has helped her kick the habit. "Now I feel free," she says. "I don't drink. I don't take pills. Nothing. And it's fantastic. It's like getting out of prison."
Antonio Banderas, who has been married to Griffith for nearly 14 years, says that seeing his wife through her addiction has brought the entire family closer. "There were people who literally didn't give us more than six months!" Banderas says. "But we love each other, and above all we love our family. We've figured out how to get past obstacles ... and if you get past those, you only get stronger."
The actress sought treatment over the summer at the Cirque Lodge in Utah. "She is there to reinforce her commitment to stay healthy," her publicist Robin Baum told Star magazine at the time. "This is part of a routine plan that was designed between her and her doctors years ago."
Melanie Griffith talking to a street musician in Santa Monica April 10, 2010 X17online.com EXCLUSIVE
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Zach Braff's Kickstarter Closes With $3.1 Million in Pledged Funds
- Mike Darnell Exits as Fox Reality Boss
- Carol Channing Confidant Dickie Long Dies at 99
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report