Melanie Griffith 'Starving the Monster' of Addiction
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 21st 2010 06:48AM
¡Hola! magazine (via PEOPLE). "I think of it as a monster. If I feed it, it will always want more and more, so now I'm letting it starve to death in a corner. But it's always there."
Griffith, 52, has struggled with substance abuse for decades and says medical treatment has helped her kick the habit. "Now I feel free," she says. "I don't drink. I don't take pills. Nothing. And it's fantastic. It's like getting out of prison."
Antonio Banderas, who has been married to Griffith for nearly 14 years, says that seeing his wife through her addiction has brought the entire family closer. "There were people who literally didn't give us more than six months!" Banderas says. "But we love each other, and above all we love our family. We've figured out how to get past obstacles ... and if you get past those, you only get stronger."
The actress sought treatment over the summer at the Cirque Lodge in Utah. "She is there to reinforce her commitment to stay healthy," her publicist Robin Baum told Star magazine at the time. "This is part of a routine plan that was designed between her and her doctors years ago."
Melanie Griffith talking to a street musician in Santa Monica April 10, 2010 X17online.com EXCLUSIVE
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Utah guards face career-ending penalties over bikini photo shoot
- John Denver receives posthumous star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Watch Intense New Trailer for Fox's Hip-Hop Drama 'Empire'
- ABC's 'Manhattan Love Story' Canceled
- Morelia Film Fest: Transgender Drama 'Carmin Tropical' Wins Top Prize
- ?Constantine' star Matt Ryan is a super binge watcher
- Entertainment Geekly: How ?The Walking Dead' is ?Lord of the Rings'
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch try to walk like Beyonce
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming