Conan the Destroyer? O'Brien Versus George Lopez
By Ben Widdicombe Posted Apr 22nd 2010 04:00PM
Little more than a week after TBS announced a deal to give funnyman Conan O'Brien its 11 PM time slot, reports have surfaced that displaced host George Lopez is not as pleased as his PR might suggest to be bumped to midnight.
The New York Post's Page Six column quoted an anonymous source stating that Lopez was unhappy about being moved, and that TBS had threatened not to renew his contract if he didn't play along.
That source also told the column: "The Lopez camp is even more disheartened by the fact that Conan's contract states that if Lopez's show is canceled, then Conan will be able to develop a show for the midnight hour, as well ... it's in Conan's best interest for Lopez's show to fail."
While the item was denied by all parties, ("false and fabricated," said Lopez's rep, echoing TBS's "completely untrue") it would explain the public graciousness on Lopez's part, which, at the very least, raised eyebrows. Using a Papal analogy, the Washington Post suggested that Conan had "kiss[ed] Lopez's ring."
The Conan-Lopez charm offensive began with a TMZ item titled 'Conan Treats Lopez with Royal Respect.' While TMZ's enviable reputation for accuracy adds weight to the love-shack version, the item failed to mention that 'Lopez Tonight' and TMZ are corporate siblings under the Warner Bros.-owned production company Telepictures. 'Lopez Tonight' has also been a major advertiser on TMZ.com. (AOL and PopEater also have a lingering corporate relationship with TMZ as a result of the AOL-Time Warner merger and divorce.)
Skepticism about Lopez's true feelings was expressed in the Hollywood trade media almost immediately after Conan's TBS deal was announced, although no alleged specifics surfaced until the Page Six item. This Hollywood Reporter piece from April 13 recalled Lopez lobbing some zingers at Conan as his 'Tonight Show' deal was falling apart at NBC, and marveling that "a Mexican talk-show host would have the most job security in town."
Which, as it turned out, didn't last long.
Conan O'Brien Snapshots
EUGENE, OR - APRIL 12: Comedian Conan O'Brien performs at the opening night of "The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On TV Tour" at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts on April 12, 2010 in Eugene, Oregon. (Photo by Michael Buckner/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Conan O'Brien
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Lopez Buys $22 Million New York City Apartment Next Door to Chelsea Clinton: Details
- Bewitched Reboot Scores NBC Deal: New Show Will Follow Samantha's Granddaughter Daphne
- Elizabeth Pena, La Bamba Star, Died From Alcohol Abuse
- Hank Baskett Caught Wearing Wedding Band While Grocery Shopping ? After Kendra Kicked Him To The Curb
- Jodi Arias Seeking Help From Admirers To Help Raise $250,000 For Appeals ? Has Already Raised $30,000
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Chrissy Teigen criticized for tweets on Ottawa shooting
- In defense of Renee Zellweger's face
- First Official Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer Is Here Early After Grainy Version Leaks Online—Watch Now!
- Lady Antebellum Talks Parenthood—Is Charles Kelly Feeling the Pressure to Have Kids? Watch!
- Anne Hathaway's Very Embarrassing Night at Matthew McConaughey's House