Conan the Destroyer? O'Brien Versus George Lopez
By Ben Widdicombe Posted Apr 22nd 2010 04:00PM
Little more than a week after TBS announced a deal to give funnyman Conan O'Brien its 11 PM time slot, reports have surfaced that displaced host George Lopez is not as pleased as his PR might suggest to be bumped to midnight.
The New York Post's Page Six column quoted an anonymous source stating that Lopez was unhappy about being moved, and that TBS had threatened not to renew his contract if he didn't play along.
That source also told the column: "The Lopez camp is even more disheartened by the fact that Conan's contract states that if Lopez's show is canceled, then Conan will be able to develop a show for the midnight hour, as well ... it's in Conan's best interest for Lopez's show to fail."
While the item was denied by all parties, ("false and fabricated," said Lopez's rep, echoing TBS's "completely untrue") it would explain the public graciousness on Lopez's part, which, at the very least, raised eyebrows. Using a Papal analogy, the Washington Post suggested that Conan had "kiss[ed] Lopez's ring."
The Conan-Lopez charm offensive began with a TMZ item titled 'Conan Treats Lopez with Royal Respect.' While TMZ's enviable reputation for accuracy adds weight to the love-shack version, the item failed to mention that 'Lopez Tonight' and TMZ are corporate siblings under the Warner Bros.-owned production company Telepictures. 'Lopez Tonight' has also been a major advertiser on TMZ.com. (AOL and PopEater also have a lingering corporate relationship with TMZ as a result of the AOL-Time Warner merger and divorce.)
Skepticism about Lopez's true feelings was expressed in the Hollywood trade media almost immediately after Conan's TBS deal was announced, although no alleged specifics surfaced until the Page Six item. This Hollywood Reporter piece from April 13 recalled Lopez lobbing some zingers at Conan as his 'Tonight Show' deal was falling apart at NBC, and marveling that "a Mexican talk-show host would have the most job security in town."
Which, as it turned out, didn't last long.
Conan O'Brien Snapshots
EUGENE, OR - APRIL 12: Comedian Conan O'Brien performs at the opening night of "The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On TV Tour" at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts on April 12, 2010 in Eugene, Oregon. (Photo by Michael Buckner/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Conan O'Brien
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lance Bass Marries Michael Turchin: All the Wedding Details!
- Jamie Lynn Spears Posts Amazing Throwback Christmas Photo With Britney Spears
- Kim Kardashian Posts Photo of Her Messy Closet With North West
- David Schwimmer is set to play Robert Kardashian in new show
- Madonna gives her fans an "early Christmas gift"
- Report: Sony music bigwigs 'freaking out' their hefty salaries will be revealed
- Watch Darlene Love Perform "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" One Last Time for David Letterman
- Lance Bass and Michael Turchin Are Officially Married—Find Out Which 'NSYNC Member Performed at the Wedding!
- All the Details on Hailee Steinfeld's 18th Birthday Party With Austin Mahone, Fifth Harmony and More!