PETA Ad Brings Bea Arthur Back From the Grave
By Marc Schneider Posted Apr 22nd 2010 09:14AM
Arthur was a long-time supporter of PETA when she was alive, and the ad states she left money to the animal right's group for their campaign against McDonald's. It begins: "Death couldn't stop this Golden Girl from fighting the Golden Arches' cruel slaughter practices."
The ad is running in Chicago newspapers on Thursday to reach the Illinois-based fast food company.
Dan Matthews, a PETA vice president, told the New York Times that he consulted with Matt Saks, Arthur's son, "who especially liked that the copy was in Bea's irreverent voice."
According to the ad, PETA is using the money Arthur gave "to pressure McDonald's to switch to a less violent, USDA-approved chicken-slaughter method" that they say would spare birds of broken legs and "being scalded to death in defeathering tanks."
The ad specifically calls out McDonald's CEO Jim Skinner, who has resisted changing slaughtering methods. It ends with a popular saying by Arthur's 'Maude' character: "God'll get you for that."
Arthur's 'Girls' co-star Rue McClanahan, another early PETA supporter out of Hollywood, has not yet been reached for comment.
Check out the full ad and let us know what you think below:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- We Tried Going Vegan Just Like Beyonce: Here's What Happened
- Ricky Gervais Says Men and Women Who Hunt Animals Are "Equally Vile" After Rebecca Francis Claims He's Targeting Women
- Jordin Sparks Dating Rapper Sage the Gemini? Singer Ignites Rumors With Intimate Photo
- Miley Cyrus and Rumer Willis flash their nipples in photo shoot
- R&B singer Johnny Kemp found dead on beach
- Shia LaBeouf says rehab therapy was like method acting
- George Lucas Talks Star Wars: The Force Awakens and New Teaser Trailer—Find Out What He Said!
- Stephen Colbert Teased by George Lucas, Reveals Why He Wouldn't Want to Replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show
- Bridal Fashion Week Spring 2016: Best Looks From Monique Lhuillier, Carolina Herrera & More!