Melanie Griffith: Rehab Brought Antonio Banderas and Me Closer Together
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 23rd 2010 10:06AM
PEOPLE. "He has been an amazing man."
Last August, Griffith entered rehab for the third time, following stints in 1988 and 2000. She has battled with substance abuse problems for over a decade and admitted to having problems with cocaine, liquor and painkillers.
Rumors about difficulties in her marriage have been circulating for years, but Banderas has dismissed the reports.
Instead, Banderas stuck by Griffith's side and helped her through her latest struggle to stay sober. "The entire family participated in the process of rehabilitation. We went to the place where she was doing it, we participated in all the therapies ... everything, everybody in the family. It's tough, but at the same time, very rewarding," Banderas said. "It's tough."
Griffith first met Banderas while filming 'Two Much.' She left husband Don Johnson for her new leading man and married Banderas on May 14, 1996. They have one child together, Stella Banderas.
Banderas admits he's not ashamed of Griffith's addictions and loves her unconditionally, even if it means facing a deadly problem head on. "I just say to families, 'Don't get embarrassed, just confront this problem head-on. And don't hide from that because there is a beautiful gift at the end of this tunnel, and it is the person that you love back, and that is what I am searching for. So the whole entire family is supporting her, and I am supporting her, and at this particular time more than ever. I'm very proud of her," he said back in 2009 (via SFGate.)
Since "starving the monster" of addiction, Griffith says she's doing wonderful. Even Banderas admits he couldn't be happier. "There were people who literally didn't give us more than six months!" Banderas said. "But we love each other, and above all we love our family. We've figured out how to get past obstacles ... and if you get past those, you only get stronger."
Griffith says she has kicked the habit. "Now I feel free," she says. "I don't drink. I don't take pills. Nothing. And it's fantastic. It's like getting out of prison," she tells ¡Hola! magazine (via PEOPLE).
Melanie Griffith talking to a street musician in Santa Monica April 10, 2010 X17online.com EXCLUSIVE
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Why 'Boy Meets World' star Maitland Ward sexes up red carpets
- Roman Polanski questioned in Poland about 1977 sex with a minor case
- Victoria's Secret 'Perfect Body' campaign sparks outrage
- Watch Allison Williams and Christopher Walken Face Off in 'Peter Pan Live!' First Promo
- Icelandic Drama 'Of Horses and Men' Wins Nordic Council Film Prize
- AMC Lands Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston Limited Series 'Night Manager'
- Funny or Die spoofs viral New York City street-harassment video
- Jim Carrey reprises his Matthew McConaughey impression on ?Letterman'
- Is the World Ready for the 'Peter Pan Live?' (VIDEO)
- 13 Mistakes From Your Favorite '90s Sitcoms
- Best of Late Night TV: Jake Gyllenhaal's Water War and Jim Carrey's Matthew McConaughey Impression (VIDEO)