Joey Lawrence Was Scared for His Baby's Life
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 28th 2010 07:00AM
Joey Lawrence and his wife Chandie Yawn-Nelson welcomed daughter Liberty Grace on March 4, and now the actor is opening up about the terrifying pregnancy to Life & Style, in an interview given exclusively to PopEater. Just six weeks after conceiving, Chandie was diagnosed with Rh disease, a blood disorder that could threaten a developing baby's red blood cells, which store iron and distribute oxygen to the body. The couple had to visit a specialist every 24 hours during the last two or three weeks of the pregnancy and had to fight for their daughter's life. "We were so worried. We wanted to get Libby out so bad," he said.
On March 4, a month before Chandie's due date, a decision was made: Libby was becoming lethargic because of rising red blood cell levels, so she had to be delivered prematurely.
"They handed her to me even before they cleaned her off," Joey said about Libby. "I held her for a second, and then they took her from me and locked her in a tube."
She was kept in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for the next five days.
Now, the two-month-old is healthy and at home with her parents and older sister Charli, 3. "Our family of four is perfect," Joey said.
For more on Joey and his family, check out the new issue of Life & Style.
Joey Lawrence Photos
Joey Lawrence arrives at the premiere of Walt Disney Pictures' 'Old Dogs' at the El Capitan Theatre on November 9, 2009 in Hollywood, California. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Furious 7' box office champ for fourth straight weekend
- 'Good Fellas' actors spill secrets at 25th anniversary screening
- Kim's ex, Kris Humphries says sorry for Bruce Jenner tweet
- Let's You and Him Fight: A Superhero vs. Superhero Slugfest Primer
- Box Office: 'Avengers' Explodes Abroad, While 'Furious 7' Hangs on to Top Spot in North America
- Tribeca: Martin Scorsese Said He "Denigrated a Certain Ethnic Group" at 'Goodfellas' Reunion
- Weekend Box Office: 'Furious 7' Cruises to Top Spot
- Will One of These Five Actors Will Be the Next Spider-Man?
- The Top 10 Cheesiest Movie Quotes of All Time