Angelina Jolie Skips Out on Presidential Invite
Everyone knows Angelina Jolie is an incredibly busy woman, but too busy to meet President Obama? Yep, rather than celebrate at the White House Correspondents Dinner this weekend, Angie's pal tells me she'd rather be doing something to help others as opposed to mingling at fancy, lavish parties. Applause all around, but this is the President of the United States we're talking about! Details on Angie's big ditch, plus other D.C. scoop (including an amazing Kim Kardashian item) ... after the jump!
Angelina Jolie Refuses to Meet the President?
While it seemed that most of Hollywood and Washington mingled together this weekend at the White House Correspondents Dinner headlined by President Obama, sources tell me that the world's biggest movie starlet, Angelina Jolie, once again passed on attending.
"Angelina is always invited by several media outlets to sit at their table, but she always refuses," a friend of the actress told me. "Angie is filming in Europe at the moment, but that isn't the reason she didn't attend. She didn't go because on her weekends off she would rather spend her time helping those who really need it rather than sitting, drinking champagne and laughing at bad jokes in a fancy DC ballroom."
Jolie, who is a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) ambassador, recently traveled to Bosnia with partner Brad Pitt to meet with those displaced by the Bosnian war that ended 15 years ago.
"Angie doesn't judge other celebrities for wanting to rub shoulders with President Obama," who she slammed in an open letter for Newsweek.com. "It's just she is just someone who thinks your actions are more important than words," reports a close friend.
Point taken, Angelina. But aren't we all allowed one night off to laugh?
Joe Biden Giddy Over Betty White's Autograph
Katie Couric had to keep a close eye on her date, Betty White, at the dinner Saturday night, because it seemed everyone in the room wanted a piece of her.
"More openly wanted their picture taken with Betty than the President. She rules that room," observed one attendee. "Poor Katie was nearly pushed over by fans trying to get close to Betty."
However, sources tell me no one wanted an autograph from everyone's favorite 'Golden Girl' more than Vice President Joe Biden. But don't worry, Betty is a classy lady, and left with the date she arrived with -- no matter how charming Joe was!
Kim Kardashian for Congress
First she conquered Hollywood, and now the unsinkable Kim Kardashian has got her eye on politics.
Sources close to the curvaceous reality star, who caused almost as big a sensation in DC this weekend as Betty White, tell me Kim is serious about the next chapter in her life.
"This weekend in DC, Kim realized that she would be a breath of fresh air in Congress. Plus, she has in a lot in common with the representatives she met. Did you know both she and Senator Scott Brown posed naked?" a friend asked me.
"First of all, there are not enough women in Congress to begin with. Plus, Kim feels very comfortable talking about current events. She loves sushi and is very concerned about the leaking oil and she knows exactly where Afghanistan is on a map."
I can see it now: Kim as President, Khloe as Vice President and Kourtney as Secretary of State. Gosh, I love America.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- Politics -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Kim Kardashian -
- Angelina Jolie
MORE ABOUT Angelina Jolie
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Angelina Jolie Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'American Hustle' review: Actors take 70s stereotypes and run with them in entertaining sting flick
- Plastic surgeon dad goes to work on daughters' breasts, faces
- 'Desolation of Smaug' review: Vast improvement over first 'Hobbit,' but cliffhanger could rile
- 'The Desolation of Smaug:' Weta's Joe Letteri Reveals The Biggest VFX Challenges
- 'Survivor's' Jeff Probst Previews Sunday's Finale: 'Brutal' Final Tribal Council
- Sneak Peek: How an A-List Design Team Revamped Sue Mengers' Iconic Estate
- Late Night Highlight: David Letterman makes Julia Roberts cry (in a good way) ? VIDEO
- Biggest fails of the year? Kimye, Miley, and a not-so-surprising number one ? EXCLUSIVE
- ?The Little Drummer Boy': You choose the best version, in our Twelve Days of Christmas Classics ? POLL
- Benedict Cumberbatch: 19 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the Man Behind Smaug
- Don Cheadle Suiting Up for 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'?
- Evangeline Lilly on 'The Hobbit': I Didn't Want to Be the Jar Jar Binks of the Trilogy