Obama's Routine Got a Lift From 'Daily Show' Jokers
By PopEater Staff Posted May 3rd 2010 02:45PM
For those wondering how President Barack Obama was able to nail so many solid jokes at Saturday's White House Correspondents' Dinner, we now have the answer: His speechwriters had some help from Jon Stewart's crew.
The official line on Saturday was that Obama's material was put together by his team of scribblers, led by Jon Favreau (not the actor-director). But Lloyd Grove of the Daily Beast reveals that Obama strategist David Axelrod told him that members of 'The Daily Show' staff put their two cents in, as well.
Some of the highlights from Obama's set:
Obama even took a swipe at the night's headliner, 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno, saying that Leno was "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine.""Obviously, I'm most pleased that Michelle accompanied me. She doesn't always go to these things. And there are few things in life that are harder to find and more important to keep than love -- well, love and a birth certificate."
"It's been quite a year ... lots of ups, lots of downs. Except for my approval ratings, which have just gone down. But that's politics, it doesn't bother me. Besides, I happen to know my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth."
"The Jonas Brothers are here ... Sasha and Malia are huge fans. But, boys, don't get any ideas. I have two words for you -- predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking."
He added: "I'm also glad I'm speaking first, because we've all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno's."
(We can only hope Conan O'Brien will be tapped to host the dinner in 2011.)
Among the 3,000 guests attending the annual gala were Chevy Chase, Alec Baldwin, Michelle Pfeiffer, Dennis Quaid, the Jonas brothers, Justin Bieber, Jessica Simpson, Michael Douglas and Steven Spielberg.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Country singer RaeLynn reveals secret about former 'Voice' coach Blake Shelton
- Justin Bieber compares his fender bender to Princess Diana crash
- Hello Kitty not a cat, expert says
- Nicki Minaj's Booty-Shaking Anaconda Video, This Time with Added Fart Noises!
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Together Again, Cozy up in Canada
- Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox have Friends Reunion on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Watch Amazing Skit!
- Farrah Abraham BLASTS ?Teen Mom' Reunion Season ? ?I Don't Think It Will Be As Great Without Me'
- Kandi Burruss Wants To Get Pregnant ?This Year' With Husband Todd Tucker ? ?Knock It Out By 39!'
- Go Directly To Jail! Feds Order ‘RHOA’ Star Apollo Nida To Report To Prison ? Details Of His Surrender