Obama's Routine Got a Lift From 'Daily Show' Jokers
By PopEater Staff Posted May 3rd 2010 02:45PM
For those wondering how President Barack Obama was able to nail so many solid jokes at Saturday's White House Correspondents' Dinner, we now have the answer: His speechwriters had some help from Jon Stewart's crew.
The official line on Saturday was that Obama's material was put together by his team of scribblers, led by Jon Favreau (not the actor-director). But Lloyd Grove of the Daily Beast reveals that Obama strategist David Axelrod told him that members of 'The Daily Show' staff put their two cents in, as well.
Some of the highlights from Obama's set:
Obama even took a swipe at the night's headliner, 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno, saying that Leno was "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine.""Obviously, I'm most pleased that Michelle accompanied me. She doesn't always go to these things. And there are few things in life that are harder to find and more important to keep than love -- well, love and a birth certificate."
"It's been quite a year ... lots of ups, lots of downs. Except for my approval ratings, which have just gone down. But that's politics, it doesn't bother me. Besides, I happen to know my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth."
"The Jonas Brothers are here ... Sasha and Malia are huge fans. But, boys, don't get any ideas. I have two words for you -- predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking."
He added: "I'm also glad I'm speaking first, because we've all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno's."
(We can only hope Conan O'Brien will be tapped to host the dinner in 2011.)
Among the 3,000 guests attending the annual gala were Chevy Chase, Alec Baldwin, Michelle Pfeiffer, Dennis Quaid, the Jonas brothers, Justin Bieber, Jessica Simpson, Michael Douglas and Steven Spielberg.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 7 worst Nickelodeon scandals
- Stars' sneaky skin-showing tricks
- TV Review: ?True Tori' real-life, or real-Lifetime?
- Justin Bieber Apologizes After Visiting Controversial Japanese Yasukuni Shrine
- Melissa Gorga To Debut Jewelry Line on HSN: All the Details on Her New "Sexy and Sophisticated" Collection
- Robyn Lively Remembers 1989 Classic Teen Witch With 10 Amazing Facts
- Shia LaBeouf’s Money-Grubbing Uncle Owes Him Another $200K — I Want My Money!
- ?Flattered' Laura Prepon Denies ?Unbelievable' Rumors She's Dating Fellow Scientologist Tom Cruise